advertisement

Mustang E

Rodrat

pfm Member
Anyone ordered or has one? Had a look today and it seems to offer a good combination of space, performance and range.

Anyone ordered or has one? Had a look today and it seems to offer a good combination of space, performance and range.

On paper it looks good (if ugly!) but my main concern with it is that it's a Ford, as I've generally had reliability issues with them and the dealers I've tried have been universally awful.

I wish that car manufacturers would state mileage available at a range of real world temps, not just the headline grabbing 'wltp' stuff that sets tax rates etc.
They all quote 'max range' presumably at a maintained 22degrees c or some such.
Now should (when) that drops below freezing, then Im guessing range would drop by a fairly large margin.
Personally not keen on that huge iPad thing on the centre console. YMMV.

The outside aint too bad..but the inside...that horrendous iPad style dash...

I find Ford dealers to be some of the best for customer service. They far exceed the likes of Audi and Volvo that's for sure.

I wish that car manufacturers would state mileage available at a range of real world temps, not just the headline grabbing 'wltp' stuff that sets tax rates etc.
They all quote 'max range' presumably at a maintained 22degrees c or some such.
Now should (when) that drops below freezing, then Im guessing range would drop by a fairly large margin.
Personally not keen on that huge iPad thing on the centre console. YMMV.

Case in point, VW ID3, wltp range 261, saw a YouTube video recently of an owner showing an indicated range of 94 mile only, this was fully charged in winter. (Granted, the range would go up as the battery warmed, but the gap between range depending on circumstances is disconcerting).

I am looking at the extended range rear wheel drive. Headline 379 miles and real world seems to be 280-300, less if I am driving and more if my wife is. It’s to replace an i3 which has been great but can’t be used as the main driver and lacks the inside space. Grandchildren on the horizon.

Case in point, VW ID3, wltp range 261, saw a YouTube video recently of an owner showing an indicated range of 94 mile only, this was fully charged in winter. (Granted, the range would go up as the battery warmed, but the gap between range depending on circumstances is disconcerting).
the honest John page was always going on about how much less range you get than written on paper , especially in winter

This Carwow review on YouTube is mostly positive, but not entirely so.

My experience with Fords has not been great, so the Mustang Mach-E is not on my shortlist.

I think fundamentally it is an OK car, but a korean EV or a Skoda Enyaq would be a better buy than the mustang in my view.

That sounds terrible. As an EV owner (2019 i3s, range around 190 in summer) I can confirm that it does indeed drop in winter, but nowhere near that amount. I think the worst we've seen in two winters with it was about 120 miles range from a full charge, which has been fine for us as it's a second car.

On the subject of the Mustang Mach-E. No. It's no oil painting (but then neither is the i3s) but it would be way down my list for other reasons. We're thinking of changing the i3s for something a bit roomier anyway, but it's really difficult to look further than either the forthcoming Tesla model Y or the latest Kia/Hyundai offerings. The E, like the iPace, sits in a strange place and will probably be an also-ran in the grand scheme of EV things.

I'm sure that, despite what I've written, the E will probably be a pretty competent car. But it's a 'catchie-up' model, like the VW IDs and the Mini Es, just getting to the starting line when some of the others are further on. BMW's just as bad - the i3 had a huge head-start on most, but BMW fell asleep on the toilet, and their new efforts (abhorrent grille design aside) are a bit lame considering how much further on BMW could have been by now...

I have looked into the Korean ev’s and the Skoda but they are all a bit small, Jaguar and Tesla much more expensive on a pcp and to be honest my wife doesn't give a monkeys about what badge is on the back. She may hate it when we have a test drive anyway.

Just had another look at the Skoda, seems good value until you look at the standard specs and the huge list of options even on the top of the range. Will have a look at the Polestar.

I think the Polestar 2 is my favourite, for now, but I'm put off by the apparent inefficiency. Figures seem to suggest it achieves around 2.5 miles/kWh, where most are managing >3. Not sure whether that's just poor energy management software, and thus might get fixed by a mid-life update, or whether it's more fundamental to the engineering choices made.

advertisement

Back