advertisement

Musicians you respect, but don't actually like

Konteebos

Surfing on the lake of fire
The title says it all, we often admire artists and bands, but don't actually enjoy listening to their music.

I'd put The Beatles in that category - obviously their music was hugely influential and 50+ years on it is still hugely popular, but I only like a couple of songs.

Any other suggestions?

Pink Floyd is the band that springs to mind immediately, I’m sure there’s plenty more.

Oh, Radiohead.

Have to agree with the Beatles and add Bob Dylan.
Hundreds of modern metal bands, see the Metal thread, can be slotted in here too, my dislike of growl-vocalists leaving some amazing music totally unlistenable for me.

Beatles for me too - despite one of their songs being the first song/tune I can ever remember - it was belting out in the school playground when I was just 6. Yes, of course I can sing along to several rather good songs, but somehow the 'band' was not something I ever 'got'. Rolling Stones too!

A friend of mine is a huge Jeff Beck and Clapton fan. I’m fully on board with Clapton but I just don’t get Jeff Beck! I accept he’s a hugely talented guitar player, probably one of the greats but he’s just too busy for me.

Maybe this is just me getting old but I also feel this way about drummers as well. Nowadays I’d much rather feel the groove of Jeff Porcaro, Carlos Vega or Vinnie Caluata than a player who treats a song like it’s a drum solo!

I guess in my younger years I was more impressed by the talent than the music whereas these days it’s the reverse!

Musicians you respect, but don't actually like...

Billie Holiday - the sort of life that deserves to be made into a film...

Leonard Cohen - his demeanour and his voice irritated me from the first time I heard him. Despite being the favourite artist of a very attractive painter who I had a long fling with... I did try to like his voice, but it was like trying to eat okra, inedible.

The Grateful Dead. I can tolerate (and even mildly enjoy) some of the studio recordings, but live they drive me absolutely out of my mind. STOP ALREADY, JUST STOP!!!

Any of the hippy jam bands - Phish being an especially egregious example. But Moe, Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, etc are all exceedingly grating.

The Beatles??? There's some seriously sick people here:D

Jeff Beck yep. Leaves me cold. Grateful Dead also... goes on and on (and on and on) but doesn't get anywhere!

My top one for "don't respect or like them but amazed that so many others do" would have to be The Fall...

Jimi Hendrix. His timing is too variable for me, yet I am a fan of freeform jazz, it does not make sense.

There is very little if any ‘proper’ music (i.e. not corporate/manufactured chart pop such as X-Factor, Stock Aikin Waterman etc) that I don’t respect though huge swathes I’d never want to listen to. Highly rated bands I’ve never enjoyed in the slightest that I guess will irk some here would be Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, AC/DC & Queen, though I can certainly understand why they are rated by many. My own taste has shifted about hugely over the years, e.g. back in the ‘70s & ‘80s I had little understanding of disco, soul, funk etc let alone jazz, but I’ve grown into all that stuff. I’d certainly never write any whole genres off. If there is one thing I’ve learned it is that there is good innovative music to be found absolutely everywhere if one knows how to look.

Frank Zappa. I have much respect for his views and standpoints, but can't get the music. Except the ones he wrote to be hits, like 'Bobby Brown'.

Beatles. Can't even say I respect them. Their bubblegum pop makes me want to run for the hills. Can count their good tracks on one hand - it took them a while to become good songwriters. Rolling Stones had more talent in Keith's fingernail.

advertisement

Back