Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Musicians making the most mistakes live

Discussion in 'music' started by Paul L, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

A curiosity of mine amidst years of opinions on forums on who is good, who is not and so on. Not sure I ever noticed a thread on it.

I recall that Roger Daltrey would forget song words as an example and I have often wondered if Jimmy Page’s layered guitar style (or perhaps weaving as Keith Richards might call it) naturally hid any number of mistakes, in contrast to the Clapton or Dave Gilmour styles that would highlight more easily. And that’s just talking guitar, just as relevant to voice or instruments in any number of genres.

I’m talking live rather than live records of course where any number of edits and corrections are made.

2. NigelP

NigelP pfm Member

At the Leeds Softcell gig Marc took 4 goes to get the intro to a song right. He though he was due in straight away and expected some kind of cue in the end it turned out there was a little intro, must be an age thing

3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

depends when it was maybe? He does have a brain injury that he got a few years ago.

4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

We saw Amy Winehouse at Rock City on her Frank tour.

The whole gig looked like a mistake. Amy was not in a good mood and the audience was on the end of it.

5. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

There are plenty of examples of less than perfect performance by the Grateful Dead, but we love them for it!

Hook likes this.
  6. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Went to a show from The Scorpions 2-3 years ago and the singer gets tired at half show and turn his microphone towards the audience to sing for him. Quite annoying for me despite I'm a huge fan.
    Nevertheless, the drummer was outstanding so it compensated.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I wish Ian Brown would turn the mic towards the crowd to sing.
    You might hear the vocals in tune…

Weekender likes this.
  8. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

The Pink Fairies What a Bunch of Sweeties album has a great mistake on the Marilyn track ...

9. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Sid Barrett must have made a few?

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

11. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

note perfect…

Bob McC likes this.
  12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

The Kevin Ayers the and Whole World Live at the BBC concert is pretty, erm, loose.

13. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Miles famously said there are no mistakes and that a "wrong note" only depends on the note you play before and after it.

14. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

never liked her music much till i heard this

the first mistake around 1.50, have never felt for a performer more this one

JTC likes this.
  15. billo

billo pfm Member

Sir Rod Stewart on TV last week. All of it!.
    I thought it was a drag act tribute band at first. This showing should be Titled " Harry Styles, a warning from History"

Tarzan, Paul L and AllyD like this.
  16. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

YCDTOSA vol 2, "Montana/Whipping Floss" :)

17. DGP

DGP pfm Member

When I was a young impressionable reader of Hi-Fi News & Record Review they gave a Gottschalk piano recital the only D:4 review rating I ever recall being given. The pianist's name I've forgotten but the reviewer coined the memorable phrase "wrong notes by the fistful" for his performance. DGP

Paul L likes this.