advertisement

Musicians making the most mistakes live

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
A curiosity of mine amidst years of opinions on forums on who is good, who is not and so on. Not sure I ever noticed a thread on it.

I recall that Roger Daltrey would forget song words as an example and I have often wondered if Jimmy Page’s layered guitar style (or perhaps weaving as Keith Richards might call it) naturally hid any number of mistakes, in contrast to the Clapton or Dave Gilmour styles that would highlight more easily. And that’s just talking guitar, just as relevant to voice or instruments in any number of genres.

I’m talking live rather than live records of course where any number of edits and corrections are made.

At the Leeds Softcell gig Marc took 4 goes to get the intro to a song right. He though he was due in straight away and expected some kind of cue in the end it turned out there was a little intro, must be an age thing

At the Leeds Softcell gig Marc took 4 goes to get the intro to a song right. He though he was due in straight away and expected some kind of cue in the end it turned out there was a little intro, must be an age thing

depends when it was maybe? He does have a brain injury that he got a few years ago.

We saw Amy Winehouse at Rock City on her Frank tour.

The whole gig looked like a mistake. Amy was not in a good mood and the audience was on the end of it.

Went to a show from The Scorpions 2-3 years ago and the singer gets tired at half show and turn his microphone towards the audience to sing for him. Quite annoying for me despite I'm a huge fan.
Nevertheless, the drummer was outstanding so it compensated.

The Pink Fairies What a Bunch of Sweeties album has a great mistake on the Marilyn track ...

Miles famously said there are no mistakes and that a "wrong note" only depends on the note you play before and after it.

When I was a young impressionable reader of Hi-Fi News & Record Review they gave a Gottschalk piano recital the only D:4 review rating I ever recall being given. The pianist's name I've forgotten but the reviewer coined the memorable phrase "wrong notes by the fistful" for his performance. DGP

I wish Ian Brown would turn the mic towards the crowd to sing.
You might hear the vocals in tune…
I've become increasingly convinced he's always had the same personal stage monitor speaker that some joker wired a pitch modulator into sometime back in 1987.

When I was a young impressionable reader of Hi-Fi News & Record Review they gave a Gottschalk piano recital the only D:4 review rating I ever recall being given. The pianist's name I've forgotten but the reviewer coined the memorable phrase "wrong notes by the fistful" for his performance. DGP

Thelonious Monk made a career looking for the quarter tones on a piano. It was microtonal magic!:)

advertisement

Back