advertisement

Musical Fidelity X-A1 amp

say it as it is

pfm Member
well took a rush of blood to the head and took a punt on a Musical Fidelity X-A1 amp on fleabay!

was looking for a cheap amp to get me by whilst I get the 72 serviced and still debating about getting the 180 serviced and still like the idea of a 102 although I keep getting told to keep the 72 and change the boards!

anyway back to the MF X-A1 anyone herd one of these have a bought a dud or what they like ?

There were a fair few happy owners of these when i was a member of the hifi choice forum many years ago.
I would expect it to be very pleasant.

Cool not seen many reviews I thought for £150 it seems an ok buy used amps at the lower end seem to have shot up I quite fancied an old rotel or one of the later entry models but seems the sellers want as much as I paid for this MF.
Don't know a huge amount about them but a separate power supply and 50 watts with a solid little case sounded like a good start

Ran one for many years into TDL Studio 1 speakers. I picked it up on eBay after the previous Kelvin Labs class A unit blew up. In the end the X A1 blew up too and I would have had it fixed BUT service info is not available so it was binned. So watch out for that. Otherwise it is quite a meaty amp and run nearly any reasonable load.

Tried one when they came out along with various other MF X-series products on home dem, I didn't like any of it but perhaps it will be to your tastes.

yeah what was your impression of them ? I must admit I have not heard one just missed music so bought what looked alright the rotel type amp I would have bought I just couldn't justify the prices, plus the build quality looked a but better than the budget stuff of its day if that makes any sense

It's a long time ago,22 years, but I tried it with the X series monos bi-amping a pair of Triangle speakers, and X series DAC and phono stage at the front end. IIRC there was an overly warm syrupy midrange, no punch to the bass, I had them at home for a week or two, perhaps it was the MF gear or the Triangle speakers, I don't think I'd ever try either any MF or Triangle products again.
I was coming from owning a Naim Nait, Cyrus 1 and a Rotel amp with various budget speakers, I ended up buying a YBA intergre and a pair of SF concertos I still own.
Hopefully you'll like it with your chosen speakers though.

Last edited:
Cool not seen many reviews I thought for £150 it seems an ok buy used amps at the lower end seem to have shot up I quite fancied an old rotel or one of the later entry models but seems the sellers want as much as I paid for this MF.
Don't know a huge amount about them but a separate power supply and 50 watts with a solid little case sounded like a good start
I think it’ll be a step up from an entry level Rotel, I always found the cheaper Rotel offerings a little coarse, great for the money but not in the same league as an £800 (back in 2000) integrated like your MF amp.

I did try the MF amp a good few years back, against several similarly priced rivals (Linn Majik, Arcam alpha 10, Naim Nait 3r, Meridian 551 and a Roksan Caspian)... they were all excellent in their own way. I recall the MF being quite laid back but at the same time, very open/spacious. It’s quite different to Olive Naim, but nice all the same. It isn’t going to disappoint as a stand in amp, and especially not for £150.

For 150 I don't think you'll be disappointed.
It was a capable, if not outstanding, amp at time of release but will easily beat true budget amps.
You should also get your money back if you resell it. Although, because of its size, it would make a good part of a second system.

Tried different MF gear back then.

Best sound from the little A1, but it ran too hot and finally blowed.

Most other of the old stuff were unreliable, hope things got better now but I'd never personally consider that brand again.

Good reviews back in the day and probably reliable, unlike some earlier MF stuff. Arkless of this parish might have had a hand in its manufacture, if so he will know it inside out.

I have the X-A2 and have had it for many years. It is different to the Naim you are used to. It is very good with piano and reed instruments as most MF stuff is (or so I have read) but may lack the PRaT of your normal system

It was well reviewed at the time and I rather liked it’s funky looks. The amps tend to deliver a warmer sound with some detail. They have a non fatiguing sound and will meld with a range of ancillaries. I’d probably use brighter more dynamic ancillaries with them to get the balance that I wanted but a good, solid no brainer for a system.

Ditto, loved them and used them for a number of years. I craved for the XA-200 but never got the chance to try them.

Good to know if I see any cheap might consider it and yes the size is nice. Wait until I get it and see if it going to stay at as a second. Only worry is it's age and the comments they run hot and blow up! On plus side can't be as expensive as naim to service I hope!

advertisement

Back