advertisement

Musical Fidelity MC-6

CJ1045

You want Briks with that?
Afternoon all,

Does anyone know anything about these speakers. I bought them as part of an otherwise Linn system and don't know much about them nor does Musical Fidelity! I am guessing from their build they were top of the range. They have multiple forward and rear firing drivers and ported at the rear although they are large - over a meter high and 34cm x 27cm footprint.

Sound good driven by a Klout!

Thanks
CJ

As I understand it, MF launched the MC2 and MC4 back in around 1989. I owned a pair of first gen MC4s for over a decade.
The MC6s were a couple of generations on, though the impression I've been given from reading on the subject over the years is that they were simply "different" as against necessarily better.
They're definitely getting on a bit now and because of their vintage, really aren't worth much (IMO £150 max).

The MC4s were fairly open and well controller, but lacked genuine depth. I'd expect the MC6s to stand up well against todays "consumer specials", but probably less so against some of the classics that are now available.

Found in Gramphone Oct 1990 edition:

The MC6 is an elegant looking floor-standing loudspeaker using six bass/midrange drivers and two tweeters, with two of the bass/midrange drivers and one of the tweeters facing rearwards and the rest conventionally to the front. Designed to handle some 500 Watts programme, the MC6 offers a high efficiency of 92dB/Watt/metre and is capable of producing in-room peaks of 118dB. The MC6 costs £1,699. Further details from Musical Fidelity Ltd., 15/16 Olympic Trading Estate, Fulton Road, Wembley, Middlesex HA9 OTF.

CJ

Hi CJ
I bought a pair of MC-4s in Sept 1990, brand new and paid £499 for them then.
I auditioned several other speakers at the time, and homed in on the MC-4s, which I still have in the attic.

I think the others I looked at then were some Celestions (SL6??) and Acoustic Energy AE1.

I recall there was a model below them in the range (MC-2) and a model considerably above them - presumable the MC-6, although I can't remember the costs of the others.

They served me very well.

advertisement

Back