advertisement

Musical Fidelity M6 Phono - Great for Multi-Table Folks

DimitryZ

pfm Member
I want to relay my recent experience with this 3 input MM/MC unit.

I have many tables and would buy multiple copies of single input phono preamps and run the output through a high quality switch box on the way to my line preamps. This quickly became expensive.

M6 solves my problems for 3 tables. It has separate adjustments for each input remembering all settings, including resistance for MC and capacitance for MM. RCA in and RCA/XLR out. Nice casework, built-in PS and updated MF house sound, which I like very much. The only way it misses out in comparison to MX-Vynl, a pair of which it replaced is lack of balanced input.

Overall a very worthy phono unit for our consideration...and the company seems to be doing well after the buy-out.

I have the MF Nuvista Vinyl phonostage with a Rega RP 10. Quite happy with it, I recently got back into Vinyl after about 30 years off. The unit was suggested by my dealer, so I just went with it. I really don’t have the experience of new decks , cartridges or phonostages to give comparisons, but I am happy with it. I am using the balanced outputs to the balanced inputs on my Nagra integrated.

I want to relay my recent experience with this 3 input MM/MC unit.

I have many tables and would buy multiple copies of single input phono preamps and run the output through a high quality switch box on the way to my line preamps. This quickly became expensive.

M6 solves my problems for 3 tables. It has separate adjustments for each input remembering all settings, including resistance for MC and capacitance for MM. RCA in and RCA/XLR out. Nice casework, built-in PS and updated MF house sound, which I like very much. The only way it misses out in comparison to MX-Vynl, a pair of which it replaced is lack of balanced input.

Overall a very worthy phono unit for our consideration...and the company seems to be doing well after the buy-out.
Obviously not much use for you now @DimitryZ but the 'X' version (newer?) M6x Vinyl does have balanced inputs too. I'm considering this as I too have multiple turntables, one of which has multiple arms...plus I've always loved MF gear!

I have the MF Nuvista Vinyl phonostage with a Rega RP 10. Quite happy with it, I recently got back into Vinyl after about 30 years off. The unit was suggested by my dealer, so I just went with it. I really don’t have the experience of new decks , cartridges or phonostages to give comparisons, but I am happy with it. I am using the balanced outputs to the balanced inputs on my Nagra integrated.
I heard this at the Windsor show a couple of years back on a big Chord Electronics and B&W 802D rig, I must have gone back at least 3 times and spent a good long while listening... absolutely loved it!

MF can make a decent phono stage when they put their minds to it!

I have the Cyrus Phono which allows four TT's to be connected and settings changed on the fly/saved to each input.

I looked at the Nu-Vista (5 inputs) as part of the upgrades to the main rig (will be 3 x TTs when finished and then hopefully 1 x TT with 3 x Arms) but went with a Luxman 500.

If I swap the Cyrus system out I'll probably go with that Nu-Vista, had a lot of MF in the 308/3.2 days and kinda miss it.

had a lot of MF in the 308/3.2 days and kinda miss it.
Yeah I know that feeling, can't imagine for one minute I won't have more, especially now they seem to be being guided quite nicely by Heinz Lichtenegger who clearly knows how to build and maintain a successful brand (or two!)

I have also owned the Cyrus Phono Signature with PSX-R2 and it's certainly no slouch! I do like Cyrus just got fed up with all the power cables...so many boxes!!!!

Yeah I know that feeling, can't imagine for one minute I won't have more, especially now they seem to be being guided quite nicely by Heinz Lichtenegger who clearly knows how to build and maintain a successful brand (or two!)

I have also owned the Cyrus Phono Signature with PSX-R2 and it's certainly no slouch! I do like Cyrus just got fed up with all the power cables...so many boxes!!!!
I know what you mean regarding the boxes, not as bad as Naim though - I got off that merry-go-round at 14 boxes, here’s my Cyrus rig in the home office

I have the Cyrus Phono which allows four TT's to be connected and settings changed on the fly/saved to each input.

I looked at the Nu-Vista (5 inputs) as part of the upgrades to the main rig (will be 3 x TTs when finished and then hopefully 1 x TT with 3 x Arms) but went with a Luxman 500.

If I swap the Cyrus system out I'll probably go with that Nu-Vista, had a lot of MF in the 308/3.2 days and kinda miss it.

Just the three TTs and five tonearms then? :)

There seems to be an increasing amount of phonostages with multiple inputs, great for comparing analogue components.

There seems to be an increasing amount of phonostages with multiple inputs, great for comparing analogue components.
Yeah, it makes sense to have some flexibility for sure. I'm not sure how many people are going to use more than two or three inputs, but maybe if the cost to implement a fourth or fifth is small once you've already designed it to have more than one, then why not. I'd personally be more interested in the option to be able to save different settings for any given input so I could swap cartridges and already have my settings preset.

Has anyone here got one of the MF Nu-vista Vinyl phono amps? Be interested to see how they think it compares.

Yeah, it makes sense to have some flexibility for sure. I'm not sure how many people are going to use more than two or three inputs, but maybe if the cost to implement a fourth or fifth is small once you've already designed it to have more than one, then why not. I'd personally be more interested in the option to be able to save different settings for any given input so I could swap cartridges and already have my settings preset.

Has anyone here got one of the MF Nu-vista Vinyl phono amps? Be interested to see how they think it compares.
I'd hoped the Cyrus would allow different setting per input to be saved, but it doesn't - if you find a stage that does I'd be interested cos I flip carts a lot at the moment.

The Cyrus lets you change the settings and revert to the Master but doesn't let me save/name settings per input, it's pretty flexible.

Resistance - 11Ω, 16Ω, 33Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 150Ω, 333Ω, 500Ω, 1kΩ, 47kΩ
Cap - 220pF, 1nF, 2nF, 3nF
Gain - 40dB, 50dB, 60dB, 70dB​

I almost bought the Nu-Vista but decided to go on a Cyrus fest, it's on the radar though.

The Cyrus lets you change the settings and revert to the Master but doesn't let me save/name settings per input, it's pretty flexible.

Yeah I vaguely remember from when I had one. At the time I only needed one input and the Tom Evans Groove+SR (no dips) I bought to replace it is far better suited to my ears. However, I now have two TTs and will soon be adding a second arm to one so need more inputs. Plus cartridge swapping is not ideal with the TE which is a shame because it's a stunning phono stage. Ideally i would like to try the MF Nu-Vista at home before I commit but kinda difficult at the moment here in Wales :(

Just found this in the MF Nu-Vista manual...
"When each input is selected, the Nu-Vista Vinyl
will remember the last settings applied."

Wonder if they mean, it will remember the last setting applied on the input now selected from the last time that input was used (i.e. specific settings remembered for each input) OR it will remember the last setting applied from whichever input you have just come from (i.e. global settings apply to all inputs)?
Can feel an email to the manufacturer coming on!

I think it is probably like the Cyrus, you can change things but unless you hit store when you power cycle it goes back to the stored setting. I've seen a few ex dem Nu-vista recently in the £2-2.3K range.

advertisement

Back