advertisement

Music to impress

In the Abstract Electronica or 'IDM' genre, Telefon Tel Aviv's "Fahrenheit Fair Enough" album is a mind-blower. I first discovered it when collecting a pair of IMF TLS 80 mkII's as that's what the seller used to demo the speakers with. 2 minutes into the opening track and my jaw was on the floor! It's quite heavily compressed, but because it's Electronica and the compositions aren't overcrowded with too many instruments, you don't really notice the compression. Everything just pops in technicolor and with razor-sharp focus. Best appreciated with a full-range system as it gives your woofers a genuine workout, but make sure your tweeters are up to the job too!

One of my favourite albums that.
The 45rpm double LP repress from a few years back on swirly light blue vinyl is smashing.

Much has been made here of 'Touch' - yello, but I have not seen mentioned the extended version only available with the DVD multipack.
I find the final 6 additional tracks even better than the main album - they really are sublime and a masterclass in mastering / mixing. All IMO of course.

An album I have yet to see mentioned is Peter Schneider and the Stimulators - Voodoo Swing. Again really rather special in the way it's recorded / mastered (and indeed, played)
Sonar - Live @ Moods is also well worth a try. Utterly spectacular. Most have a real shock at the end of track one - not realising how / where it was recorded..

Oooooh, that Leftfield track, dunno the name but they say "Check one" in it...

advertisement

Back