advertisement

Music to impress

Pat Metheny - Zero Tolerance for Silence :)

More seriously - Haircut One Hundred - Pelican West

Done this recently and these seam to work

Joe Jackson - Cha Cha Loco
Tears for fears - woman in Chains
Dire Straits - private investigations
Deep Purple - My Woman from Tokyo
Ella and Louie - Summertime
Propellerheads - history repeating
Mariner - Vivaldi. Four Seasons

Then hit them with some sub drops like Magnetic men

Just let them pick something they know well as they will notice a huge difference in quality if they're only used to MP3 or just don't have a very good system

I agree with others about Touch - Yello

At a recent HiFi show someone played Fever by Malia and Boris Blank (of Yello) from an album called Convergence. Everyone in the demo room was on their smartphone using Shazam trying to find out what it was.
I didn't buy the speakers but I did buy the album. And it sounds really good on my system too.

Conclusion?
I think mostly it shows that good, well recorded music sounds good on most HiFi systems!

Dropkick Murphys - State of Massachusetts, Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya
King Crimson - Letters
ELP - Toccata
Melody Gardot - So You Meet Again My Heartache
Giuliano Carmignola - Vivaldi, Four Seasons
Jazz Tangeros - Por una Cabeze
Cowboy Bebop OST - Tank!
Supertramp - School
Randy Tytingvaag - Red or Dead, My Heart Belongs To Daddy
Bob Seger - Turn the Page
Morphine - Dawna + Buena

First off, only put your system on if it is asked for. I can think of nothing more likely to kill a good evening than shoving the hi fi on. It's either got to be playing so quietly that it may as well be a transistor radio, or too loud to allow conversation.

You have friends around because you find them congenial & interesting & want to talk with them, not to bore their asses off with superb transients & trouser flapping bass.

Chris

Dropkick Murphys - State of Massachusetts, Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya
King Crimson - Letters
ELP - Toccata
Melody Gardot - So You Meet Again My Heartache
Giuliano Carmignola - Vivaldi, Four Seasons
Jazz Tangeros - Por una Cabeze
Cowboy Bebop OST - Tank!
Supertramp - School
Randy Tytingvaag - Red or Dead, My Heart Belongs To Daddy
Bob Seger - Turn the Page
Morphine - Dawna + Buena

I have, and love School by Supertramp but a guy in a Hi-Fi shop many years ago seemed to think I was a complete tosser because I didn't like his Tangent speakers when playing this track.

Wouldn't have minded but it was a Rega deck I was auditioning.

School - this track is not too difficult to play. If you like it, and it did not impress you, most likely that something wrong with the system. For example, Dropkick Murphys songs are much more difficult for most systems to play adequately. In fact, from that I heard, the only system that played them properly was full Naim kit with Ovators.

If you have a system with good bass try anything off Maroon 5's Album Songs About Jane- they all have monumental bass really well recorded. I fancy anyone with an old tdl would enjoy it. Sadly I don't!

This is a dreadful thread,

Ugh

Horrible men, all of you.

Cabaret Voltaire live at the YMCA: mortgage levels of audio to play something recorded on a mono cassette recorder? Now ladies, that never fails to impress. But I am not sure if the impression is a good one or a bad one...

Another great sounding album, Dr. John - In a Sentimental Mood. This record will knock your socks off. It also has a real nice duet with Rickie Lee Jones.

First off, only put your system on if it is asked for. I can think of nothing more likely to kill a good evening than shoving the hi fi on. It's either got to be playing so quietly that it may as well be a transistor radio, or too loud to allow conversation.

You have friends around because you find them congenial & interesting & want to talk with them, not to bore their asses off with superb transients & trouser flapping bass.

Chris

Correct. Give 'em a few tracks they already know and leave it there. The most boring thing in the world is to sit quietly listening to mid range definition even with other people who like hi-fi.

Tell jokes/funny stories (just went on a holiday of lifetime - never again!), have a karaoke, discuss programmes on the telly and/or football and have a good bevvy. Shut up about hi-fi.

Richard Strauss : Also Sprach Zarathustra / Previn, Vienna PO

The string section AFTER the obvious opening. Chills down the spine!

advertisement

Back