advertisement

Music to impress

Bemused

What's this all about then?
Recomend me some music to impress some "non hi-fi" friends with hi-fi.
CD Single tracks, perhaps pressing details.
Mostly for fun.

Regards
Tony

Thomas Newman's "American Beauty" soundtrack will make your woofers flap, especially the opening track.

Just let them choose music they like - that's what I normally let visitors do, with Spotify. From a hi-fi point of view, along the way something will pop up that will sound better than they're used to. You might keep them listening longer that way too!

I'm playing Van Morrison's Days Like This on my CDi right now, superb music and sounds good too.

To be honest if they're not interested in HiFi they probably wouldn't be impressed by the sort of kit you'd give your right arm for.

Better to introduce them to some good music that they may not have encountered rather than show off the kit.

It's like to someone not into cars and you show them a Ferrari and they say...meh..

Of what has been suggested so far the only exact album I already have is Yellow - Touch.
I have to say its an impressive show, deep deep bass thats super tight and fast along with an expansive sound stage, great harmonics and some good dynamics.

I will be on the lookout for the other suggestions, they may impress me also and so long as I like the music its a win win.
A few albums for non hi-fi friends to toy around with and a new find for my own collection.

The Beast in Me by Johnny Cash. On a good system Cash sounds as if he's in the room.

Ode to Billy Joe by Patricia Barber. Lovely voice and bass guitar.

A Feather on the Breath of God, Emma Kirkby and Gothic Voices. Simply recorded vocals with a great sense of depth.

I have Johnny Cash -The Beast in Me
My version is quite rubbish being compressed sounding very small and closed in. Not played in ages but I do like Cash, particularly the Rubens stuff. Just shows how production can destroy something.
Being meaning to seek out the three CD set The Complete Sum Masters

Oops I do have Van Morrison -Days Like This
Just giving it a spin right now.

Of what has been suggested so far the only exact album I already have is Yellow - Touch.
I have to say its an impressive show, deep deep bass thats super tight and fast along with an expansive sound stage, great harmonics and some good dynamics.

Touch is quite simply one of the very best recordings made.

It's very good too. :)

Gwyneth Herbert's cover of Bowie's Rock 'n' Suicide which is the hidden track on her All The Ghosts album. Just her voice and an acoustic guitar. It's superbly recorded.

If the system is going to impress, then pretty much anything you play should be fine. Let them choose.

advertisement

Back