advertisement

MUSIC & SOLITUDE

Its a good question and not simple to answer. Most of the above would cover some of the times I listen to music on my own. Sometimes it relates to indulgence; listening to music that few others appreciate. For me it could be Dave Mason and Cass Elliot whilst I am washing up, Miles Davis whilst I am in a more contemplative mood.

I always liked the Classical Indian perspective on music; you played different types of music at different times of the day. I think I now need some raga rock.

I read 'really far away' as being a particular state of mind. In which case it might be one of Morton Feldman piano works – for example Triadic Memories played by Aki Takahashi.

Ah yes Morton Feldman. Does suit well the far away state. As is, for me, Helmut Lachemmann's "the little match girl". A deep voyage into the mineral and organic. Fascinating. Timelessness like Feldman but with the purpose of a narrative. And emanating from a place utterly other. Perfect when laying on the sofa late in the dark with the whole body shut down except the ears. And a glass of whiskey at arms length.

mr.datsun if you like Feldman can I suggest Charles Koechlin"s "Persian hours"... somewhere between Feldman & Debussy...

Robert Rich's albums work for me. Varied styles suit whatever mood - eg "Rainforest" is a happy one, "Troubled Resting Place" or "Stalker" are darker, more sombe.

advertisement

Back