1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MUSIC & SOLITUDE

Discussion in 'music' started by monad, Aug 27, 2013.

1. monad

monad pfm Member

What are you listening to when really far away in exile from the world ?

2. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Its a good question and not simple to answer. Most of the above would cover some of the times I listen to music on my own. Sometimes it relates to indulgence; listening to music that few others appreciate. For me it could be Dave Mason and Cass Elliot whilst I am washing up, Miles Davis whilst I am in a more contemplative mood.

I always liked the Classical Indian perspective on music; you played different types of music at different times of the day. I think I now need some raga rock.

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun pfm Member

I read 'really far away' as being a particular state of mind. In which case it might be one of Morton Feldman piano works – for example Triadic Memories played by Aki Takahashi.

4. monad

monad pfm Member

Ah yes Morton Feldman. Does suit well the far away state. As is, for me, Helmut Lachemmann's "the little match girl". A deep voyage into the mineral and organic. Fascinating. Timelessness like Feldman but with the purpose of a narrative. And emanating from a place utterly other. Perfect when laying on the sofa late in the dark with the whole body shut down except the ears. And a glass of whiskey at arms length.

5. monad

monad pfm Member

mr.datsun if you like Feldman can I suggest Charles Koechlin"s "Persian hours"... somewhere between Feldman & Debussy...

6. overprint

overprint pfm Member

Robert Rich's albums work for me. Varied styles suit whatever mood - eg "Rainforest" is a happy one, "Troubled Resting Place" or "Stalker" are darker, more sombe.