advertisement

Music software for computers

Dean Jordan

pfm Member
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what software people are using these days if the run a computer in there system. I have used jriver in the past but would love to hear your thoughts and what you use and what you have in your system. I don't mind if is free software because I know its available

Many thanks Dean

Remember if you had a paid for version in the past you will get a discount if you want a newer version.

I have JRiver on my office PC and also use it as a DLNA server for my home theatre system.

I only use a small subset of JRiver's functionality as it is continually evolving. The user interface is a bit basic but it is very stable, support has been excellent and the sound quality is very good.

Jriver. I upgraded the version last year (probably a leap of 5 versions) but really no idea why I bothered - for listening to music the ui wasn't noticeably different and I don't use it for anything other than music. You probably still have the license from when you bought it and it should still be valid.

My JRiver is several versions back, but it still does all that I ask of it. I see no reason to update it.

I've always used Foobar2000 but was recently convinced by a couple of colleagues, that given good quality files, the newest version of Jriver has the edge on sound quality. ( have compared in the past and heard no difference at all on older versions )

I don't care what bits-folk say, my ears give new JR a thumbs up so I will be buying a copy soon. Who knows, I may even use the video side of it, plus the UI is much improved.

J River is splendid, does more than you can possibly want. The associated remote app, JRemote, is also excellent. Roon is an alternative worth looking at, particularly if you use streaming services like Qobuz or Tidal.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what software people are using these days if the run a computer in there system. I have used jriver in the past but would love to hear your thoughts and what you use and what you have in your system. I don't mind if is free software because I know its available

Many thanks Dean
Dean are you interested in playing music from a PC/Mac you are using for other things into your hifi, or are you looking for a dedicated computer audio source and are you intersted in multi room? Also do you want to be able to rip cds, stream files, listen to internet radio and/or use an internet music service like spotify, tidal quobuz.
This makes a difference becasue there are lots of different solutions out there which might be described as a computer.
I started off using windowa music player years ago to listen in my office to cds I had bought before bringign them home to play on my cd player. Only later did I establish a deedciated streaming source to my hifi. Persoanlly I mainly use LMS nowadays. At work I tend to use the spotify desktop app o my windows machine and LMS on a linux box I use as a stadning desk machine. At home I have both sonos and LMS steamers all of which are essentially computers. I like LMS best becasue it is free, open source, multi room and has a the widest range of sources, but it's a tad complicated for the civilians in the house. There is a neat app to set it up on a windows machine though so it might be worth a try even if you just want to play music on a desktop..

My personal point of view is that it is best to pick the features and user interface you like best rather than letting yourself get hearded into a closed system which won't sdo everythign you want.

Hi. Ive used Foorbar and Jriver for a number of years
Both are very good. But Jriver is on top because of the extra features it has.
Im using roon now and to me it is the business. Much bettet SQ and a friendly interface. If you have tidal or quboz or both then roon creates recommendations to the current tracks being played, which are almost spot on.

You also have the ability to stream to any device on the network or attached to a pc.

Cheers

Last edited:
Roon is very good but there’s little difference in sound quality against JRiver. Both are good. I use LMS again and though the interface is different I’ve noticed no change in SQ at all. Just as enjoyable and that’s where it counts really.

advertisement

Back