advertisement

Music - rent or buy?

From the artists point of view, it is better if we all kept to buying CDs and LPs as they earn literally pittance on streaming. However they do get better exposure on the streaming platforms. From our point of view as consumers, streaming is just so convenient and we have access to millions of albums...

Just read this over on the Steve Hoffman forum https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/albums-disappearing-from-tidal-beginning-of-its-end.849783/

'Noticed more and more albums disappearing from Tidal, is this a sign of their end, they're losing streaming rights and contracts with record labels?
Just a few albums I had in my playlists which are not available any more:
Tosten Goods, Roberto Di Gioa, Tim Lefebvre & Wolfgang Haffner : Thank you Baby!
Momo Wandel Soumah: Afro Swing
Dianne Reeves, Wynton Marsalis: Magic Hour
Hugh Masakela: I am not afraid

Maybe its time to re-evaluate Qobuz …'

Not a streamer myself though can see the attraction in it, but I generally dislike being in the hands of any 3rd party so avoid it wherever possible

Just read this over on the Steve Hoffman forum https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/albums-disappearing-from-tidal-beginning-of-its-end.849783/

'Noticed more and more albums disappearing from Tidal, is this a sign of their end, they're losing streaming rights and contracts with record labels?
Just a few albums I had in my playlists which are not available any more:
Tosten Goods, Roberto Di Gioa, Tim Lefebvre & Wolfgang Haffner : Thank you Baby!
Momo Wandel Soumah: Afro Swing
Dianne Reeves, Wynton Marsalis: Magic Hour
Hugh Masakela: I am not afraid

Maybe its time to re-evaluate Qobuz …'

Not a streamer myself though can see the attraction in it, but I generally dislike being in the hands of any 3rd party so avoid it wherever possible
A few years ago when I looked at Tidal, as a friend was extolling it's virtues, I found that bands who had produced 20-30 albums (most of which I owned) only had 2 or 3 on Tidal. He couldn't get his head around my point that if you rely on a streaming service for your discoveries, you are at their mercy as to what you can find. A subtle (or not!) form of control of your choices. And this is apart from titles disappearing. I do have Qobuz, but will buy anything I am serious about, especially as I lost access for a while, and couldn't even remember half of the stuff I wanted to keep. Usually I buy CDs and rip them on my Innuos Zenith to play, or buy downloads, mainly from Bandcamp these days. Very rarely, I will buy an LP.

I think that once you integrate something like Qobuz with Roon and your CD library, its remarkable how it all then goes to list artists/albums in quite a comprehensive way. There will always be gaps for various reasons, but as a life long LP and CD purchaser, my 3 months worth of use/reaction is positive.

advertisement

Back