advertisement

Music - rent or buy?

Here is a reply to a request I made the other day when asking a band I like about whether they were going to release their latest album on CD. Bear in mind all their previous 5 albums had been on CD when it was the only medium:

No we aren’t. We all must evolve past plastic products made from fossil fuels. When they make a medium to distribute music on hemp-derived CDs, we will print them! But until then we are keeping it clean for the environment...

Guess I won't be hearing their new album after all because sure as hell I won't be renting it!!!

Is it not available on Bandcamp?

Here is a reply to a request I made the other day when asking a band I like about whether they were going to release their latest album on CD. Bear in mind all their previous 5 albums had been on CD when it was the only medium:

No we aren’t. We all must evolve past plastic products made from fossil fuels. When they make a medium to distribute music on hemp-derived CDs, we will print them! But until then we are keeping it clean for the environment...

Guess I won't be hearing their new album after all because sure as hell I won't be renting it!!!
Just buy it as a download. Sheesh let's make life difficult!

A backup might as well be digital as physical. It's still a backup. A house full of physical backups might burn down.

Having said that... my digital backups are in my house. I suppose that I could ask a friend to hold a hard drive for me... but if my house were to burn down, then retrieving my music collection would be quite low on my list of priorities.

Wait until they find out how the electricity powering the server holding their music is generated.

Reactions: GT
Still buying records, but no more CDs or downloads. I use Tidal when I feel like exploring something new.

Buy for me always.

When another accusation comes out about an artist and the streaming companies decided out of political correctness to stop hosting their music you'll be stuffed!

Wait until they find out how the electricity powering the server holding their music is generated.

I have no way to verify this, but the biggest service Spotify uses Amazon Web Services. It's likely that some of the smaller streaming services also use Amazon Web Services. Amazon Web Services uses >50% renewable energy at the moment and is committed to moving to 100% renewables. The next biggest service is Apple which uses 100% renewables.

I have no way to verify this, but the biggest service Spotify uses Amazon Web Services. It's likely that some of the smaller streaming services also use Amazon Web Services. Amazon Web Services uses >50% renewable energy at the moment and is committed to moving to 100% renewables. The next biggest service is Apple which uses 100% renewables.

Really! These are American companies... :rolleyes:

Buy never rent. I learnt my lesson with ebooks I had a small number bought thru Fictionwise. They stopped trading they said they would transfer my book rights to Barnes & Noble I think it was, never happened so potentially lost the books - but I didnt as I decrypted them. Renting is a mugs game. Didnt Sony once have a music store? Where is it now. Also I think Microsoft is pulling out of the media business too. Can't resell or give way a rent, or in general an encrypted download. Renting is in effect perpetual buying the music, lovely for the seller. This Music/Films as a service that many clever dicks have latched onto should be resisted strongly. As some have said cds ( and even blu -rays films eg CEX) can be very cheap so why not just buy them, rip them to a home server and do away with the money grabbing middle men.

I’m currently listening to some wonderful Gounod on Qobuz that had been recommended here. I wouldn’t have heard it otherwise.

is there the equivalent to PayAsYouGo rather than the monthly sub with these streaming services? That would meet with my approval as a way to sample something like Stunsworth's Gounod on Qobuz?

is there the equivalent to PayAsYouGo rather than the monthly sub with these streaming services? That would meet with my approval as a way to sample something like Stunsworth's Gounod on Qobuz?

If you just want to sample, Spotify still offer a free service I think.

Dont know about Quobuz.

I probably use Tidal 3 to 4 hours a day. Sometimes just as background noise when I work.

That's roughly a hundred hours a month which works out at approx. £0.20/hour or £0.66/day for the 20 quid subscription.

Not bad for something I can access anywhere on a Laptop, Phone at CD quality and with a huge catalogue of music.

Unless you try it, not Tidal specific, you dont know what you're missing imho.

Nothing wrong with buying physical media as long as you have storage and look after it but as someone else said, most have a small selection they regularly listen to with the rest just laying dormant until eternity.

For the true audiophile, shelves bending under the weight of hundreds or thousands of records are of course a status symbol even if he only plays 20 of them :)

Quite possibly; but to what extent will the signal retrieved represent the one that was recorded?

As for the likelihood of future investigators being able to retrieve signals digitally encoded... how can we possibly predict their abilities? It seems to me that future archaeologists (who will almost certainly be from another solar system) will be perfectly able to decode our digital recordings. They travelled to our planet, after all...

The digital recordings will not exist - because they are not permanent enough. All digital formats degrade and have a limited life.

Buy never rent. I learnt my lesson with ebooks I had a small number bought thru Fictionwise. They stopped trading they said they would transfer my book rights to Barnes & Noble I think it was, never happened so potentially lost the books - but I didnt as I decrypted them. Renting is a mugs game. Didnt Sony once have a music store? Where is it now. Also I think Microsoft is pulling out of the media business too. Can't resell or give way a rent, or in general an encrypted download. Renting is in effect perpetual buying the music, lovely for the seller. This Music/Films as a service that many clever dicks have latched onto should be resisted strongly. As some have said cds ( and even blu -rays films eg CEX) can be very cheap so why not just buy them, rip them to a home server and do away with the money grabbing middle men.

You can’t “own” a concert, a movie, a play, a football match, a pint of beer. Does that mean you never go to a gig, the cinema, the theatre, the stadium or the pub? There’s lot of music I might want to only listen to once or twice - a particular performance for example. Why should I have to buy it?

As some have said cds ( and even blu -rays films eg CEX) can be very cheap so why not just buy them, rip them to a home server and do away with the money grabbing middle men.

I don't get this argument, yes, CDs that were made in their millions can be had for a couple of quid on Music Magpie but new CDs are anywhere between £10-£15 depending on where they're from (I buy a lot off US labels).

With the amount of new releases in the past few weeks I would have had to pony up well over £100, as it is, I've listened to them all on Tidal, decided on a couple to invest in, and saved myself a fortune. If I had a limitless income I would buy everything and have no room in the house!

I guess it comes down to whether you are looking for new music or are content with what you have

advertisement

Back