advertisement

Music in Vienna ?

Andrewxyz

pfm Member
I've got a long weekend in Vienna at the end of November. I've never been before & was hoping to see some music, but it's looking pricey!. The State Opera had 2 individual tickets left for the night I wanted. La Boheme, one at €141 the other €190. I'm not _that_ much of an opera fan...

The Vienna Philharmonic are on tour that weekend, so I tried to book the Vienna Symphony Orchestra , individual ticket prices aren't too bad , but what's this €120 subscription charge doing in my basket ? I'm not paying that as well!

Is it possible to buy tickets for concerts in Vienna without being scalped ? Can anyone recommend any good places to hear classical or jazz while I'm there ?

I went to Vienna for 3 nights last year and had an amazing time. I would have loved to have visited the Musikverein but it didn't work out. They have some nice looking concerts at the end of November - not cheap of course but worth it to enjoy a concert in such an iconic hall -

https://www.musikverein.at/en/progr..._jc=false&data_nedcc=0&bbq_ev=&data_year=2018

When you walk around the centre of Vienna you will come across people hawking tickets to smaller concerts. There are quite a lot of concerts in the baroque churches which also make wonderful settings. We chanced upon a free lunchtime recital of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater here -

Thanks for that link. No subscription charges. I now have a ticket for Mitsuko Uchida playing Schubert on the Friday I arrive, and one for the Wiener Brahms Trio playing Rachlin • Szeps-Znaider • Baich | Händel • Beethoven • Mendelssohn on the Sunday. These & the big Bruegel exhibition should keep me occupied. Hopefully I'll find time to walk around & see a few other things as well.

Update. That's a beautiful venue & both concerts were very good. The Brahms Trio expanded to 6 at one moment, but no one minded. It was also their oldest members birthday, so everyone was in a happy mood.
Vienna was fantastic, clean, safe, far too much to see even in a long weekend so I'll have to go back. It also seemed quite cheap for a capital city, less spendy than France or the Netherlands.

I visited the Albertina, which had a huge Monet exhibition one , that took most of one day and the Bruegel the next.

Pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157702549648541

Hotel was excellent https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190454-d235666-Reviews-Hotel_Austria-Vienna.html I had their cheapest room which was about €180 for 3 nights B&B , not en suite, but private toilet & shower down the corridor.

Beautiful city with an amazingly integrated public transport network.
Next time go and see The Third Man in the atmospheric dingy Old cinema that runs it repeatedly.
You can get opera tickets cheaply in advance. I managed to get opera tickets in the gods for reasonable prices.
The museum quarter is a good visit, with all the major galleries and museums minutes away from each other.
The Schonbrunn Palace is a must visit. We stayed in a hotel near to it. Because of the transport system getting in to the city centre was a breeze.

advertisement

Back