Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music for the coronation….hopefully

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Take5, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

oh, I would love it if this lot got the gig.

Tony L, Sue Pertwee-Tyr, Nero and 2 others like this.
  2. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

How they keep straight faces.....

3. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

LOL…..

my favourite 30 seconds or so is from about 1.55

the guy singing “ god save the king”, followed by the sopranos perfect rendition of the word “ Minge “.
    Then the brass section just nailing it, whilst the recorders ( oboes ?? ) show what can be done with practice.

Inspirational !!

4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

vince rocker likes this.
  5. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

lol.. I havent seen that one before.

I like best the versions where they dump the original music and the joke is the “ new” music

6. tones

tones Tones deaf

Hilarious, but the original is untouchable:

Pity we don't hear the other three as well - Handel knew how to do drama in music.

7. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

Oh, I know the original.

it’s great.

In fact, too good for Charlie’s coronation.

I thought this latest, amended version would be far more appropriate for someone of the calibre of our future king.

8. tones

tones Tones deaf

But then, it's been done for every coronation since George the Two, and is Chuck any worse than some of them? Look at Bertie, who became Edward VII. He apparently spent the time waiting for his Mum to snuff it bedding every other woman in the kingdom. Vicky wouldn't even let him see state papers. Yet, when he became king, he was surprisingly effective during his short reign. He almost single-handedly turned around Franco-British relations (highly inflammable, courtesy of the Boer War and the concentration camps, and the Fashoda Incident, which could have resulted in war). Chuck is much better prepared. But then, Bertie inherited an empire at the height of its powers, whereas Chuck inherited a vastly diminished country on the way down and unable to come to terms with its decline (according to the Financial Times, the Irish have started telling English jokes...). So, why not buck him up with a bit of decent music? I think he's going to need it.

KrisW likes this.
  9. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

I used to often work with a chap called Oliver Varney. I had an unshakeable earworm whenever I met him!

10. Euan

Euan pfm Member

I think after yesterday's palace bombshell we should get Blue Mink back together.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

12. timH

timH pfm Member

Well hopefully the coronation gets cancelled when Charles inadvertently slips and cuts his neck on a guillotine blade swiftly followed by the rest of his relatives

Jimin and Nic Robinson like this.
  13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Point of Order M`Lud, Our present King.

Not saying our future King won`t turn out even worse.....

Take5 likes this.
  14. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

15. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

I suspect that’s Handel’s own preferred tempo, but for me, as an entrance anthem, that is played much too fast. I much prefer this version:
    Handel Coronation Anthems Harry Christophers The Sixteen - YouTube (as a bonus you’ve got the rest of the Coronation Suite there too)

I sing in a choir, and Zadok is part of our repertoire - Handel’s choral writing is very singable, and once you get an idea of his style, he’s actually pretty easy to learn (ask me about Beethoven sometime if you want to hear some choice swearwords…). But you know a composer is good if he can get sixty Irish people to shout “God Save the King!” repeatedly in front of witnesses.

As @tones notes, I think denying Charlie a good tune for his ring-walk when it was fine for, oh Edward VIII for a random example, is a little rich. Also, be careful what you wish for: if they strike out Handel, you might get something… worthy instead. Yech.

16. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Point of order. Edward VIII didn’t have a coronation ceremony.

KrisW and Barrymagrec like this.
  17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

18. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Sex Pistols?