advertisement

Music buying strategy/rationalising

I more or less gave up on LPs after CDs came out and gave up on CDs after iPods and Napster came out. I love streaming for discovery and on today's streamers the hi-res services sound pretty much as good as the CD equivalent.

My current strategy is to finish with digital front-end upgrades and then look at getting back into vinyl. If the equipment side makes sense cost-wise, I'll then put together a small vinyl collection of all time favourites.

I don’t really have a strategy. I have vinyl, CD, cassette. radio, a massive hard drive, Spotify and Amazon Prime as sources (and the internet - as there are lots of ace You Tube accounts out there e.g. for live and BBC session stuff etc).
I love loads of music and generally prefer the best quality issue of whatever it is I wanna listen to.
It’s not straightforward though. I guess I love the complexity and contradictions as well.
I realise this doesn’t answer the question but, don’t stress and just enjoy it.

The ‘blue swirl’ label design? I have to admit I’ve never found any of those yet, they are very rare.

Blue swirl with blue label text, making it the very firstest; later pressings had black label text I believe. Must admit it has a bit of an aura about it, potentially being one of the earliest CDs ever pressed.

Then there was the time I picked up an RCA Bowie (only “Golden Years”, admittedly, but still...) for £3.49 in Oxfam...

‘Young Americans’? Good album IMO, as is all Bowie (barring a dip in the mid ‘80s).

Sadly not, as I’ve only got the 1991 vinyl reissue of it that crams extra tracks on to overlong sides. My RCA score was the 1983 comp “Golden Years”, whose bizarre track list makes more sense on reading that RCA based it on the setlists of the contemporaneous “Serious Moonlight” tour.

I’m still committed predominately to CD so charity shops are my best friend, especially when you learn the pricing strategies. I’ve been introduced to some wonderful artists on the basis of interesting artwork and a 50p price tag......

advertisement

Back