Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Apols if this has already been mentioned upthread, but Mark Lanegan‘s memoirs, Sing Backwards and Weep is blooming’ brilliant. Half “music book”, half journey to the brink of everything, its really well written and brutally honest. Worth the admission fee for the chapter on Liam Gallagher alone.

2. MEMF1980

MEMF1980 pfm Member

Just finished Greg Wilson ‘discotheque archives’ a history of important clubs, labels and records in club culture from the 1960’s onwards and really enjoyed it. First press was limited and sold out but I believe a 2nd run is coming soon. Plus has some lovely artwork from the artist Pete Folwer

Weekender likes this.
  3. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

gavreid and RBrinsdon like this.
  4. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Ambient 1: Music for Airports by John Lysaker

This book is of an analysis of the album rather than an account of how it was made, and none the worse for that. Lysaker puts the album in the context of its influences which is interesting. He also looks at how one listens to MFA, and this aspect of the book wasn't so convincing.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Member

If you love Jazz, and can find a copy for a resonable price, Verve - Sound of America is superb.

gavreid likes this.
  6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

7. yentone

yentone pfm Member

[​IMG]

I saw these guys at End of the Road festival a few years back and they played a DJ set quite unlike anything I have ever witnessed. If this book is half as wild, it will be a great read.

On pre-order at Sounds of the Universe now.

8. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Woodface and yentone like this.
  9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

10. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Read this a couple of years ago. The first few chapters covering him growing up and forming Squeeze are great. He is very candid when writing about his alcoholism, but I didn't feel there was much insight. It reads like he's repeating what his therapists have said to him.

The best bit is where he works with Bryan Ferry, which comes across as quite a surreal episode.

gavreid and Tw99 like this.
  11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I read the two big autobiographies of the day, Springsteen and Costello. I think think this may be the most enjoyable of the bunch, it's beautifully written.

12. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

RBrinsdon likes this.
  13. guey

guey pfm Member

14. Saxondale

Saxondale pfm Member

15. Saxondale

Saxondale pfm Member

Anyone read The Blue Note Records biography?

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Bought this on the strength of massive reviews and awards. Not read it yet.

[​IMG]

gavreid and Woodface like this.
  17. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I read a (mostly positive) review of it in the London Review of Books. One thing I didn't know at the time was how much Anthony Burgess hated The Beatles. Brown ascribes this to envy; Burgess composed music that no-one wanted to listen to. Personally, I think it was because Burgess was from Manchester and was thus a miserable get.

Mullardman likes this.
  18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I’m trying to work out whether I ought to buy it or not based on the pfm perceptions of the authors of the mini-crits on the cover. I think Julian Barnes got a thumbs-up at some point, maybe for that book with the picture of The Raft of the Medusa inside, the name of which escapes me. Dominic Sandbrook was definitely thumbs-down - I think he once wrote an article for a Tory Tabloid - which leaves Alexander Armstrong. I’m not sure if the pfm massive has expressed an opinion on him yet, but personally I think it he should be charged with crimes against singing. So two to one against - but I like the Beatles, and Craig Brown, so sod that.

19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I've only heard good things about that book - I don't have it myself (yet)

20. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I wish Mark Lewisohn would get his finger out. At this rate either he or I will have dropped off the perch before he’s finished his biography.