Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Super Hans

Super Hans New Member

Just done with these. Both pretty good. Quite a few anecdotes.
    OH. Not allowed to post links. I had such a wonderful post going.

Well, its
    The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club / Peter Hook
    Telling Stories / Tim Burgess

2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm halfway through 'Why I Stuck with a Junkie Jazzman' by Laurie Pepper, Art Pepper's wife.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1494297574/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Strongly recommended for anyone who enjoyed Straight Life. This is from Laurie's perspective and rather less sanitised..

Kindle version is currently a bargain £2.35.

Weekender and Stunsworth like this.
  3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Thanks for the heads up. Now bought.

4. Nytechy

Nytechy pfm Member

Something to read when the festivities start to drag...

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I found Straight Life a rather horrible book about a very horrible man.

Take5 likes this.
  6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

8. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

gavreid likes this.
  9. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I've been reading this. It's actually a fascinating overview of live music at the BBC.

[​IMG]

Stephen

Somafunk and gavreid like this.
  10. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

I imagine a fair number of forum users users on here have fond memories of lost weekends losing our shit to the “guvnor”, I am, of course highlighting the musical genius that was Andrew Weatherall and the sonic delights he introduced us all to.

https://bleep.com/merch/210606-jockey-slut-andrew-weatherall-a-jockey-slut-tribute-

I had the pleasure of booking “the guvnor” for a few events/gigs and there was not a single experience that stands above all others, he was a true and genuine “gentleman” to deal with and always, always made time available to speak and converse with everyone and anyone that wanted to chat, whether that be organisers behind the decks/backstage or random punters in the crowd - he treated everyone with dignity and respect and the musical community is bereft at losing such a character.

11. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

One of the most enjoyable books I have read of late is "The Blue Moment" by Richard Williams published in 2009. Whilst not as in-depth as Ashley Kahn's masterpiece on the making of "Kind of Blue" the interest (for me) is in the album's ongoing influence on both jazz and rock.

gavreid likes this.
  12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

13. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I was tasked with setting up his decks for an event a while back and he was absolutely lovely - just super friendly and chilled. And happy to hang around and chat for ages afterwards - I've never seen so many middle-aged men queuing for selfies!

vince rocker and Somafunk like this.
  14. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

Another recent purchase I have found useful (in conjunction with Tidal) is "Between Sound and Space" which is described as an ECM Records primer by Tyran Grillo.

As suggested in the description, it is purely a series of mini reviews of various ECM releases but is very useful to ECM fans. Not cheap as it is posted from Columbia but a worthwhile purchase.

15. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

It's a website too https://ecmreviews.com/

RBrinsdon likes this.
  16. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Credit to the bloke for putting all the reviews together, but each review reads like he's just discovered a thesaurus.

Mole Man, RBrinsdon and vince rocker like this.
  17. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

I agree, the writing style is tedious and doesn't really make me want to go and listen to the music. Perhaps he feels he has to be serious about the serious image of ECM.
    Having said that it's a really valuable resource.

RBrinsdon and ciderglider like this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

19. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

This one was the second of Garner's books on the topic. Heavier on narrative, and with the focus on Peel.

The previous volume, lighter on narrative, and with more listings information, which covered BBC sessions for all shows, not just Peel, was ;

[​IMG]

20. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

Good morning, I recently bought a MoFi copy of "Blonde on Blonde" so as an extra treat also ordered Daryl Sanders book "That Thin Wild Mercury Sound" which is an in-depth review of the recording of the album in Nashville.

I am sure the Dylanologists on here will have read this volume years ago and I thought I already knew a lot of Dylan legend and myth but with the MoFi vinyl revealing MUCH more detail than my old CBS double album I found the book purchase to be doubly rewarding particularly when you listen for the subtle changes outlined in the text and know how and why they came about.

A shelf display rather than a loft keeper issue.