Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

Just found it, did not realise it was by several co-authors

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0679765395/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not cheap but worth it IMHO

RBrinsdon likes this.
  3. claire.foxx

claire.foxx Trans lives matter more than cis feelings

Couple of new books this weekend one is a pistols clippings picture book, invaluable stuff:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Topeco likes this.
  4. claire.foxx

Another picture/photo history book. Even fewer words and is really a handbook on how to pose on stage. Which is very important.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jono_13 likes this.
  5. claire.foxx

[​IMG]

Got the The Clash London Calling Scrapbook. Lots of pictures & cuttings & even a CD of the LP that will live out its days in the car. I started researching the roots of my music in pictures & sound rather than commentary, which can be an unreliable witness. A beautiful, helpful book.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jono_13 and Rocat like this.
  6. vibemaster

vibemaster pfm Member

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Well, I finished a while ago so please remind me?

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Fabulous Creation by David Hepworth is very good, he writes very well about the ‘condition’ of being a music obsessive.

Some may find him a little too opinionated but I do relate to a lot of what he says.

vibemaster likes this.
  9. vibemaster

vibemaster pfm Member

I gave some mock 7" black waxed cheddar cheeses to the Henry McCullough auction, achieving £600 for the So it Goes one. The most costly plain cheddar ever sold!

Jono_13 and Woodface like this.
  10. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Kraftwerk: Future Music from Germany by Uwe Schuette

The coverage of Kraftwerk's golden age (up to the early 80s) is good, and the author has some interesting insights into what Kraftwerk were trying to achieve. But when he moves on to the more recent, less inspired years, I felt that the author had drunk too much Duesseldorf Kool Aid. He seems to me too happy to treat Ralf Huetter's remixing and re-recording of the band's back catalogue as a creative endeavour.

I'd say it's on a par with Pascal Bussy's book, but has the benefit of being more up-to-date. It is much better than David Buckley's Publikation.

11. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0330339176/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20
    Lost in Music, Giles Smith
    Autobiographical/Memoir from past member of Cleaners from Venus and founder member of Orphans of Babylon.
    'If you have ever watched a band play or bought a pop record you should read this book' John Peel
    I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of growing up with music in Colchester in the 70's and 80's and becoming (for a while) big in Germany!

12. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes Active Member

For those with even slight jazz leanings, this one is a wonderful read...

Meet Me at Jim and Andy's - Gene Lees

"Jim and Andy's, on 48th Street just west of Sixth Avenue, was one of four New York musicians' haunts in the 1960s - the others being ... 'For almost every musician I knew' Lees writes 'it was a home-away-from-home, restaurant, watering hole, telephone answering service, informal savings (and loan) bank, and storage place for musical instruments'"

paulfromcamden likes this.
  13. claire.foxx

One bonus about being in bed a lot is reading: correcting & plugging holes in my knowledge. Some recent orders:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  14. claire.foxx

Two new reads today: McGartland’s “Buzzcocks: The Complete History” is a light yet thorough read while Nick Crossley’s “Networks of sound style & subversion” is a brilliant & scholarly data-driven, interaction-map based sociology on the interconnections and origins of punk.

[​IMG]

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Graeme Thomson - 'Small Hours', biography of John Martyn has just landed. I am expecting a grim read.

Weekender likes this.
  16. claire.foxx

Ryan’s “Friends of Mine: Punk in Manchester 1976-78” is a fast-paced, anecdotal yet surprisingly detailed read. Info is anecdotal and needs checking against verifiable sources for later inclusion in academic writing but with an excellent “gig-ography” at the back it rams home how fast development of the scene was at the time. Sadly cannot use in a literature review as it’s all anecdotal without citation but it’s still useful.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  17. claire.foxx

Finally got round to flicking through The Art of Punk by Bestley & Ogg. I never tire of these artefact books. (My phone broke after a fall so I’m using stock images which are better than I could take anyway).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. LolaLi

LolaLi Member

These two are my favorites.
    First one Nirvana: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chuck Crisafulli. Everything is great about this book, the content, photos and especially emotions that you get reading it.
    The second book is Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, Larry Sloman. It is difficult to read it, but anyway it is powerful.

P. S. I would add here my photos of these books, but for some reasons the forum doesn't let me do it.

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I get a brief mention in the Buzzcocks’ book - October 20th 1973. As well as taking the photos I made the recording that’s mentioned in the last sentence.

20. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

[​IMG]

A discussion regarding the proverb ‘by night all cats are grey’ on a different thread reminded me of Kew. Rhone. which in turn reminded me that I never got round to buying the book-of-the-album which came out some years ago.

Fortunately I discovered that the publishers (Uniform Books) are still selling new copies via Amazon Marketplace, so didn’t have to resort to a second-hand one at twice the price.