advertisement

Murray Walker RIP

My earliest recollection of his voice is as a four or five year old in the 60s when my mother used to put Motocross on the TV to keep me amused while she got on with things in the house. I was completely obsessed with the mud splattered anarchy of it. RIP.

I just have to post this...one of the reasons I’ll remember Murray so fondly ....a few of his best quotes:

"There's nothing wrong with the car except it's on fire"

"With half the race gone there is half the race to go"

"I imagine the conditions in those cars are totally unimaginable"

"Either that car is stationary or it's on the move"

"Do my eyes deceive me or is Senna's car sounding a bit rough?"

"And the first five places are filled with five different cars"

"And this is the third-placed car about to lap the second-placed car"

"The battle is well and truly on if it wasn't on before, and it certainly was"

"Two laps to go, then the action will begin. Unless this is the action, which it is"

Murray: "There's a firey glow coming from the back of the Ferrari!" - James Hunt: "No Murray, that's his rear safety light"

"It's a sad ending, albeit a happy one, here at Montreal for today's Grand Prix"

"Andrea de Cesaris, the man who has won more grand prix than anyone else without actually winning one"

"Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken!"

"The young Ralf Schumacher has been upstaged by teenager Jenson Button, who is 20"

"It would have been Senna's third win in a row if he'd won the two before"

"I'm ready to stop my start watch"

Murray you legend!
And also "There are 7 world champions on the grid - and 3 of them are Michael Schumacher"

And Michael Schumacher is WORLD CHAMPION ... except he isn't... no I actually made that one up.
Could have said it though to be fair. RIP

I read his autobiography and it was a good read. IIRC he also had a hand in some market leading cat food advert. To increase sales they suggested your cat could be lonely so get it a friend. More cats, more food sold. RIP Murray.

I also read his autobiog. Interesting life, interesting look behind the scenes.

His relationship with Hunt wasn't necessarily all roses, funnily enough.

His enthusiasm was infectious, but if I'm honest, I found him a bit amateurish.

Agree with a lot of the comments on here some certainly cracking me up!

A true legend and yes I too used to watch the 'Scrambling' in the 60's leading to a lifelong love of motorcycles and also racing cars from autocross upwards.

I dont really follow F1 any more or for a few years now as its just processional with little of the drivers skills being shown particularly in overcoming what often were shockingly poor cars and the commentary is also so so.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'theme tune' yet though.

This clip I remember well - Fleetwood Mac totally ignore Murray in it!

RIP Murray you truly were one of the 'good ones'

“ the Williams car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind which is absolutely identical”

RIP. 97 though, good enough. I think part of his appeal was that he *wasn't* a polished presenter, he was just totally wrapped up in the moment of it all and sharing his excitement as the race unfolded. He was a gift to the comedians of the age, Spitting Image had him on regularly. "And now we have 5 laps to go, and I've PEAKED TOO EARLY! Oh my word, there's no way I can maintain this level of hysteria for another 5 whole laps, at this speed something has surely got to give. AND YET I AM STILL CARRYING ON! 4 and a half laps to go now, which will take anything between 8 and 9 minutes, surely there is no way that I can continue with this commentary? But YES, as Schumacher extends his lead by another second, my level of excitement has extended to yet another high and I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE I AM STILL CONSCIOUS, it hardly seems possible..."
I think that his head exploded at the end of that sketch, after he had worked himself into an utter frenzy. Great TV, and I am sure that he watched it and laughed as much as we all did. A good innings.

Agree with a lot of the comments on here some certainly cracking me up!

A true legend and yes I too used to watch the 'Scrambling' in the 60's leading to a lifelong love of motorcycles and also racing cars from autocross upwards.

I dont really follow F1 any more or for a few years now as its just processional with little of the drivers skills being shown particularly in overcoming what often were shockingly poor cars and the commentary is also so so.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'theme tune' yet though.

This clip I remember well - Fleetwood Mac totally ignore Murray in it!

RIP Murray you truly were one of the 'good ones'

I believe I was there.

RIP. 97 though, good enough. I think part of his appeal was that he *wasn't* a polished presenter, he was just totally wrapped up in the moment of it all and sharing his excitement as the race unfolded. He was a gift to the comedians of the age, Spitting Image had him on regularly. "And now we have 5 laps to go, and I've PEAKED TOO EARLY! Oh my word, there's no way I can maintain this level of hysteria for another 5 whole laps, at this speed something has surely got to give. AND YET I AM STILL CARRYING ON! 4 and a half laps to go now, which will take anything between 8 and 9 minutes, surely there is no way that I can continue with this commentary? But YES, as Schumacher extends his lead by another second, my level of excitement has extended to yet another high and I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE I AM STILL CONSCIOUS, it hardly seems possible..."
I think that his head exploded at the end of that sketch, after he had worked himself into an utter frenzy. Great TV, and I am sure that he watched it and laughed as much as we all did. A good innings.
Murray was infectious but I think that Spitting Image sketch was about David Coleman. I only remember that because I had a college teacher who sounded just like him.

Murray Walker, A Life in the Fast Lane.

Tonight on BBC1, 22:45

Probably on iplayer after the broadcast.

What a voice...

RIP Murray.

R.I.P Murray. You were a proper legend. As others have said, he had a very successful career in advertising until 1978, and he or his company came up with some or the most memorable advertising slogans in history, let alone the 60s and 70s - 'Go to work on an egg' was another of his. Always seemed like a good guy, and 97 years is a great innings. Always seemed humble too.

I loved this advert from 1988

advertisement

Back