advertisement

Munich show 2022

The sound of a good Hi-Fi system should be compared to a real life musical event, as in real music, and not someone else's system. It amazes me that some who comment on the sound of a HiFi system haven't been to a concert for years

Agree, if it's a live recording.
However, most of what we listen to is assembled in a recording studio, bedroom etc. "Tracked" and manipulated afterwards etc. as a FLAC, WAV, AICC file, whatever.
I'm completely cool with all of that; I simply wish to hear the artist's intention with as little clutter in between as possible.
I was at Tool a couple of weeks ago at the O2 - it sounded like sh*t (like everything at the O2); their recordings are fabulous. At Jeff Beck RAH this week. Sound better, but nothing like a recording studio.

Last edited:
Did not see any rega products
Epos with Vertere & Soulnote sounded excellent

The Fyne room played a Rega P10, and a Rega Isis CD player. I also saw a Rega amplifier but I’m not sure if they were using it (they were definitely using a tube preamplifier)

Here is a video where Fyne was using the Isis as the source

True, but I think Fremer deserved Arthur's disdain in this instance!

It was amusing that Fremer seemed to criticise the price of Arthur’s turntable given the absurdity of the oligarch bling-fi he runs himself. IIRC Fremer’s turntable is about $200,000 before one gets to the ($35,000+) tonearm. Glass houses and all that.

Fyne have taken orders for two-hundred pairs.

Wow! That's a nice start. That's a kick where the sun don't shine for Behringer. Want to see Tannoy survive a thrive but what transpired at Coatbridge doesn't appear to be very nice. I spoke with him at the show and you could see the visible hurt he still felt. I didn't pry too deeply. They are a fine looking product it will be interesting to see if they take off in the far east.
Big success for Fyne for a new brand.

Want to see Tannoy survive a thrive but what transpired at Coatbridge doesn't appear to be very nice.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

Tannoy are not Tannoy any more. A large, multinational owns the name but that's it. None of the people who designed and built the speakers are involved and they aren't even made in the UK.

Fyne effectively are Tannoy. Designers, management and most of the factory staff are Tannoy people and still in Coatbridge. They didn't leave Tannoy to kill it, they set up Fyne to keep Tannoy alive. Obviously they couldn't keep the name, as someone else owns it, but that's all it is now.

Tannoy has survived and is doing well. You just need to get over the fact that it is now called Fyne.

In fairness Tannoy have changed hands and staff many, many times over the years. There are those of us who think the real ones were made in That London (ducks, covers)!

Interesting deck from Arthur K. Is the direct drive better than the belt? Or not? If a customer likes one drive method better than the other, can he have the redundant one removed or order a single drive version at a lower price? Is the ideal platter inertia for the belt drive the same as the ideal inertia for the DD?

When you spin the deck round for access to different arms, what happens to the arm cables? Are there brush connections from the rotating sub-assembly to the non-moving base. Three times? With earthing that would be 15 brushes. I'm interested in how that will be accomplished - there must be some quite intense 20th Century engineering going on under that platter. It's a shame that AK didn't lift the platter to show off how it was done. If there are five patents applied for, he is potentially free to show off the meat of those patents, since patent application includes publication and covers you from the date of application.

Perhaps rotation will be limited to 240⁰ with detents and the arm cables will be gathered in the middle, but that raises questions about whether arm cable dressing can affect arm performance. I strongly suspect it can.

I found other turntables and arms on display a little uninspiring except Kuzma. Most were a bit ugly or impractical but at least the Kuzma kit looks a bit awkward in a serious engineering kind of way. Many of the big expensive decks just look like ostentatious overkill. Nothing much to envy.

Talking of drive systems the huge Esoteric is interesting and to my knowledge something genuinely new (Esoteric). I’m curious to know how it fairs torque-wise compared to a good direct drive or idler.

advertisement

Back