advertisement

multimeter

glenn jarrett

pfm Member
does anyone know which of the ebay china multimeters have the fluke boards in them
or a decent cheap meter nothing too fancy just need for volts current ohms

How cheap? I have one of these to back up my Fluke. Some of the Uni-T meters get the thumbs up on EEVBLOG.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Almost anything will serve you fine for that.

A couple of years ago I bought a holdpeak hp890cn, mostly because it's got enough capacitance range to test reservoir caps. It's been great.

It's been a few years since I looked at MMs and it looks like you can get a lot of meter for very little money. I was thinking of getting myself some new leads for my old meter, that sort of works ok, does most of what I need, but is a bit battered and occasionally needs a bit of a poke to get it going. So, I think I probably deserve a new one if I can get something for < £20.

However Amazon have loads of them that are pretty similar. The holdpeak hp890cn seems to do most things, and probably more than I really need, but what alternatives should I look at?

For low voltage stuff (eg less than 30V), there isn't too much risk and there is a wide choice in the £10-20 range (depending on the features you value).

If you plan on using the same meter with mains power, I'd be a little bit more careful. The UNI-T 139C seems to be one of the lowest safe and reasonably priced options.

If you want to work on both low voltage stuff and higher voltage, but without needing extreme precision on the latter, Fluke makes some safety rated voltage testers (T90 to T150, or T5-600/1000) which can be complemented by an all-singing all-dancing Chinese meter for electronics work where more precision may be desired (say a UNI-T UT210E or UT61E, to stay with this brand)

thanks guys i have bought a couple of an8008 £26 absolute bargain :eek:
will do the cap's mod when i get them
i already have an AVO M2006 for high voltage use

if anyone needs the smd caps i have ordered 50 of each ( 0.1uf -1uf -10uf -4.7 uf )
let me know and i will post some out to you

if anyone needs the smd caps i have ordered 50 of each ( 0.1uf -1uf -10uf -4.7 uf )
let me know and i will post some out to you

. . and similarly if anyone requires the miniature 0.5 and 10 Amp fuses suitable for the an8008 and an8009 (I think ?) and maybe a few other aneng's send me a PM with your address and I'll get some in the post FOC.

Last edited:
I bought a Holdpeak hp890cn from Amazon, on prime, but it didn't arrive the following day, as promised, but the Amazon site said it had been delivered. I contacted Amazon, and after a delay of perhaps, twenty minutes, I had an email to say they had refunded me, and could I re-order, so I did. The following day, two arrived. I contacted them by email, to arrange return of one of them, as no-one needs two multimeters, but they said I could keep both, so my mate John has a nice new MM too, and I had rather a lot of beer!

It's a lot of meter for £15.

advertisement

Back