advertisement

Multi-room setup and replacing Naim with NAD/Devialet?

Looking for opinions and any experience of similar problems here. My sitting room and kitchen are within earshot and I tend to "float" from one to the other. The setups in both are unconnected from each other and frustrating to use.

Sitting room is acoustically not the best, but a Naim SuperUniti and P3ESRs have been working well here. The SU is mostly used with its internal streamer and a basic turntable setup and it provides audio for my projector as well.

Kitchen has a Bose Wave SoundTouch Radio/CD. It's mostly used for Spotify, internet radio and AirPlay. I did experiment with bookshelf speakers in various locations, and the single speaker seems to fill this room best.

I want to simplify this setup in the context of my girlfriend and family, particularly around multi-rooming the kitchen and sitting room. Also I'm considering what features some non-Naim options could offer, particularly around bass management.

I have a feeling Bluesound may be the best approach to deal with the multi-room issues. I was thinking of the following possible setups and would love any feedback / suggestions :

1. Bluesound Pulse 2i for kitchen, Bluesound Node 2i + keep SU.
  2. Bluesound Pulse 2i for kitchen, Bluesound Node 2i + pre-owned Devialet 200 Expert (non Pro) for main room. (This would give integrated phono stage, adjustable sub crossover, simple remote and aesthetically pleasing!)
  3. Bluesound Pulse 2i for kitchen, NAD M33 for sitting room (incl HDMI switcher MDC) for main room. (This would give integrated phono stage, DIRAC live, remove HDMI switcher and transparent app control. But more expensive and unsure about the M33 in terms of obsolescence.)

Put a smart speaker like Sonos in the kitchen. Spotify can connect directly to this.

You could multi room with a Innuos Zen mini as this is Sonos compatible.

I've got a NAD C368 with Bluos, probably going to a 2i Pulse or similar for the Kitchen, I think the Bluos App is very good

Would Airplay be an option though?

The Bose can do Airplay but the Superuniti can’t. (I have AirUpnp on a R-Pi but it’s a bit kludge). The C368 sounds like a nice unit!

Your suggestions will work perfectly, BluOs is a very good system and the Bluesound gear sounds an awful lot better than the Sonos equivalents. I’d go NAD M33 over Devialet any day of the week, in respect of both sound and any future support you might need.

If you’re happy with the Superuniti setup, the easiest answer might be to stick a Muso in the kitchen. That gives you multiroom, and the Muso (or QB) has AirPlay.

advertisement

Back