advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the BBC press conference section this morning. :rolleyes:
Newcastle legend and friend Alan Shearer warned Bruce off taking the Magpies job.

“Alan Shearer is a friend of mine and he is entitled to his opinions. I am not Rafa Benitez and whoever took the seat would find it tough. I am happy to be sitting here," Bruce said.

Just had a look who you got in as manager , Graham Potter , what do you reckon ?

Chris Hughton is a wonderful man and will always be remembered as the manager who took us from the depths of the Championship to two seasons in the Premier league. Unfortunately things went horribly wrong mid way through last season. We were comfortably in mid table with a series of home games against teams in the bottom half to come. We started losing those games (the only win was against Huddersfield), the low points being the 5-0 against Bournemouth and the 2-0 against Cardiff. We were playing some dreadful football, often lining up like the away side at the Amex. Somehow we managed to get some points against teams above us (Arsenal, Wolves) which were enough to keep us up (plus a win for the Croydon team against Cardiff). He ran out of ideas in the end(no plan B) and I think his time had come.

I am really glad that we didn't go for one of the usual suspects.

It's obviously early days with Potter but I am optimistic. I saw an article on him when Swansea played City last season. He came across as a very intelligent manager, willing and able to work with, and develop, young players. He also advocates attractive, attacking football. This is a good fit with Dan Ashworth our new technical director (he oversaw the England youth teams during their recent successes). Our three new signings average 21 years of age, a sign of things to come.

I watched the first friendly of the season on Seagulls TV. I can't read anything into it but we can't complain about a 5-2 win with five different scorers, all three of our main strikers scored, plus one of our new signings (2 minutes after he came on) and TWO assists for Jahanbaksh, our record buy, who supplied precisely 0 goals and 0 assists last season. Two of our U23 players also featured and didn't look out of place. We actually played the ball along the ground too, rather than the goalie lumping it up field in the hope that it would bounce off Murray to one of our other players.

I'm going to the game against Fulham tomorrow so will get a closer look at how the new regime is performing.

We may not end up much higher than last season (if at all) and we may get one or two beatings on the way but at least we will be trying to play proper football like we used to in the Championship.

Reactions: BJP
Chelsea have beaten Barca 2 - 1 and City lost by penalties during the Asia Cup game against Wolves the other day, so all is right in the world. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...pard-pulisic-griezmann-shanghai-a4196506.html

"Tammy Abraham and Ross Barkley were on target as Chelsea concluded their tour of Japan with a 2-1 win over Barcelona in the Rakuten Cup in Saitama.

"Abraham slotted past Marc-Andre ter Stegen to hand the Blues the lead seven minutes before the interval, and Barkley rounded off an encouraging team performance with an effort from 20 yards nine minutes from time."

We might have a decent chance in The Champions League this year. We'll see in the coming months.

Jack

TELEMMGLPICT000204550983_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqgmFsEjQK2M33nnfQ31Q2_8yDCL9C1pUixbxwqFPQ8Uw.jpeg

Oh dear Jack.
I didn’t think you’d be the first to desperately hang your hat on irrelevant pre season friendly matches.

Mind you with no Hazard next season and the inexperienced manager you have appointed I can sympathise with your anguish.

Proper game last week Connah's Quay Nomads knocked Kilmarnock out of the Europa League , an amazing achievement , even more so because they lost the home leg first .

Chelsea v aghhhh....spit....Barca chuffin’ lona was a good watch.

Mount looks as though he wouldn’t be embarrassed in the premier league. Couple of good early signs from Pusilic, but jury’s out. Tammy had a good enough game. Emerson looked as though he’s come on.

If we see a team of youngsters improving over the course of a season and looking capable by the end, I’ll enjoy watching them more. It’ll be a good season regardless of if we win anything or not.

How come he gets a work permit when we have a striker on our books, a regular international, who was his country's star player in the recent AFCON cannot have one?

Ours is Percy Tau, he played last season on loan in Belgium, looks like he will play there again this season. Though he did come from a South African club.

We've also got Alexis Mac Allister, an young uncapped Argentinian player now loaned out to Boca Juniors.

Neither of them look likely to ever play for us.

All a bit strange really, unless they were bought as investments.

Were they bogof or is it only City that do that in Europe?;)
Is Reading still in Europe after the Boris Coronation today?

PS I’ve had to pretend to be a Reading fan to get tickets. I’m sure I can keep my gob shut for 90 minutes? Maybe?

Is Reading still in Europe after the Boris Coronation today?

PS I’ve had to pretend to be a Reading fan to get tickets. I’m sure I can keep my gob shut for 90 minutes? Maybe?

Don't worry, most of the Reading fans follow other teams. :)

I went to the Mad Stad with my brother in law to see them play Man Utd when Reading were in the Premier League. He was outed straight away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back