advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watford sacked their manager for winning only 4 of their last 16 matches.

OGS has won 5 of his last 16 matches...

BBC News - Iran's 'blue girl' dies after setting herself on fire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49646879

Oh dear, what a shame. Women in Iran have not been able to go into stadiums to watch men's sporting events since 1981. Sahar (not her real name) was arrested when she attempted to enter a football stadium dressed as a man.

"But when she appeared at court she found out the hearing had been postponed because the judge had a family emergency.

"She later returned to court to pick up her mobile phone and it is widely reported that she is thought to have overheard someone saying that if she were convicted she could get six months to two years in prison.

"She then set herself alight in front of the court house and later died in hospital."

Football players in Iran have made their feelings know about Sahar's death.

"Masoud Shojaei, the captain of the Iran men's football team, said on Instagram that the ban is "rooted in outdated and cringe-worthy thoughts that will not be understood by future generations"

Jack

The top 10 in terms of money spent on assembling squads from CIES, the football statistics research group based in Switzerland

1 Manchester City - 1.014bn
2 Paris St-Germain - 913m
3 Real Madrid - 902m
4 Manchester United - 751m
5 Juventus - 719m
6 Barcelona - 697m
7 Liverpool - 639m
8 Chelsea - 561m
9 Atletico Madrid - 550m
10 Arsenal - 498m

11 Everton - 486m
12 Tottenham Hotspur - 465m
19 Leicester City - 312m
21 West Ham United - 259m

999 Celtic 20m, if you're lucky.

Cost in euros

The top 10 in terms of money spent on assembling squads from CIES, the football statistics research group based in Switzerland

1 Manchester City - 1.014bn
2 Paris St-Germain - 913m
3 Real Madrid - 902m
4 Manchester United - 751m
5 Juventus - 719m
6 Barcelona - 697m
7 Liverpool - 639m
8 Chelsea - 561m
9 Atletico Madrid - 550m
10 Arsenal - 498m

11 Everton - 486m
12 Tottenham Hotspur - 465m
19 Leicester City - 312m
21 West Ham United - 259m

999 Celtic 20m, if you're lucky.

Cost in euros

The usual uninformed, ignorant and WRONG rubbish I’ve come to expect on this thread.

The dats is the VALUE of squads today, NOT what they cost.

The usual uninformed, ignorant and WRONG rubbish I’ve come to expect on this thread.

The dats is the VALUE of squads today, NOT what they cost.

This kind of response does your blood pressure no good Bob. But all the same, I have to say that the value of the squad is determined by the cost of assembling the bloody squad.

"Manchester City have assembled the first billion euro squad, says a report by the CIES Football Observatory. City, who have benefitted hugely since the Abu Dhabi group takeover in 2008, spent (1.014bn/£906m) on their current players with Paris St-Germain (913m euros) and Real Madrid (902m euros) in second and third."

Some people on here need to learn the basics of reading before they denigrate others as ignorant and WRONG. In fact, I may be ignorant but I'm never WRONG.

I’d say nett spend is a fairly important stat too. Liverpool’s under Klopp is about 60m last time I looked and before recent squad player sales.

Net spend is a poor indicator in isolation as does not take into account wage bill & squad value. For example, Fulham & Wolves have spent big recently to get into the Premiere league but their wage bill will be lower than Liverpool's as will their player assets. If you look at the current top 6 & aggregate their spend over the last, say, 5 years it will probably replicate their league position. Big spenders in Premiere league have been Man City, Liverpool, MUFC, Chelsea & Arsenal. How often has the top four not been made up from these 5 teams?

BTW, I am making no value judgement based on this.

Obviously, money spent is only one indicator of the value of a squad, but it is the only one that we can actually see clearly. I think we all agree that in general terms the more is spent on a team the greater the chance of winning games. Leicester is evidence that the proposition is not written in tablets of stone, but is usually the case. Not exactly rocket salad.

Not sure what Bob got so flustered about, it's not a matter of life and death.

That spending chart high lights Spurs' and Arsenal's nearly but not quite seasons . And further more I now fully expect Everton to finish higher than Spurs :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back