advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denis Law once scored six goals in an FA Cup tie against Luton , the game got abandoned muddy pitch I think , City lost the rearranged game 2-1 ,Law also scored that one .

I think Shankly brought him down from Scotland , I wish your board would have backed Shankly when he wanted to buy Ian StJohn and Ron Yeats then he wouldn't have buggered of to Liverpool .
Dennis Law's transfer money paid for new floodlights. I'm afraid there has always been a small minded mentality at Town, Shankly didn't do an amazing job for us so we perhaps didn't foresee what he would go on to achieve. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Herbert Chapman did well for us in the 20s though.

Fairly certain that Liverpool were in the second division when Bill Shankly took over but football has changed so much. Blackpool with Matthews, Mortenson and Johnston etc were a top team as were Newcastle with Milburn and the Robledo brothers. Chelsea had a fantastic group of young talent as did Man United with the Busby Babes.

Now success is to a large extent determined by who has money and spends wisely.

Shankly didn't do an amazing job for us so we perhaps didn't foresee what he would go on to achieve.

Well if they had let him buy the two players mentioned which he did when he got to Liverpool you could have been 6 times Euro Champs now :p

Fairly certain that Liverpool were in the second division when Bill Shankly took over but football has changed so much. Blackpool with Matthews, Mortenson and Johnston etc were a top team as were Newcastle with Milburn and the Robledo brothers. Chelsea had a fantastic group of young talent as did Man United with the Busby Babes.

Now success is to a large extent determined by who has money and spends wisely.
They were in 2nd division, they were probably seen as a smaller team than Town at the time.

I see there's handbags on twitter between Shearer and Owen about Owen's Newcastle comments, but don't know if it will run much longer? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49564379

Old blokes who used to play for Newcastle, and now punt themselves as television commentators, are hardly to be trusted.

It's not like they played for Chelsea, a team with a great moral backbone.

Jack

Sky Blues 3-2 over Blackpool, we're on our way back. Remember the Trevor Francis transfer? We were the only side that could match the fee!

Barkley has started for England and Mason Mount is on the bench. This means they could beat Bulgaria, but Southgate should have picked Tammy Abraham to make sure.

The Chelsea striker is deadly at the moment, whereas Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and Callum Wilson, are plodding in comparison.

England have done very little since John Terry was captain.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back