advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Stones is a great player, but he’s also a ricket waiting to happen. You applaud some great tackles, admire the range of his passing, ponder how comfortable he looks on the ball. Then the one moment he’s needed to do something ugly and necessary he tries to do a Cyruff turn and lets the oppositions best player in to score a goal. There’s a reason Southgate doesn’t pick him despite all his attributes. I worry Aké would prove to have the same issues. At the heart of defending there needs to be a hint of pragmatism. Kompany got this better than most. It’s no surprise we’ve struggled at the back this season, we lost one of the best centre halfs the Premier League has ever seen.

I once heard Fred Eyre who is a great pundit expounding about the merits of centre halfs. He maintained you needed one to do the dirty work, and one to tidy up after. I think we have to many tidy-uppers and not enough willing to do a bit of dirty work. Every team that plays like we do needs a Ramos or a Kompany.

Second least goals conceded in the premier league this season.
Only two more than LiVARpool.
Goalkeeper wins the golden glove.

For decades I dreamt of a defence that poor!

Your goal difference is 15 better than the champions yet they finished 18 points in front of you.
Not rocket science - flat track bullies!

Mmm, never really rated Stones. He's okay and scored a couple of goals against Panama, but ... Shitty rejects should be kept away from the hallowed ground of Stamford Bridge.

There must be a better choice and Chelsea have the money. Let's see what Frank, Cech and the directors come up with. Mind you they might go for him.

Jack

Second least goals conceded in the premier league this season.
Only two more than LiVARpool.
Goalkeeper wins the golden glove.

For decades I dreamt of a defence that poor!
Nine defeats in the league is another stat you don’t want to repeat too often or you tend to be short of the top prize

I’m not in 2 minds. This won’t only be a loss for just the football club, it would have boosted the city and is a huge loss for the region.

The truth of the situation is needed from the PL but I doubt they will come clean.

Anything is believable of Ashley. I talked about exactly that scenario with my wife just a couple of days ago. £50m more is a lot of cash given Ashley’s idiotic splurging on the High St.

Remember though, it shouldn’t have reached the point of doing a deal with the Yanks even being a possibility. The PL has a lot to answer for, 16 weeks of virtual silence is unacceptable. If the whole thing does go down the pan, they have killed the football club.

It seems Willian will go to Arsenal on a free transfer after The FA Cup Final, which he might not play in. This contradicts the earlier report that Chelsea had agreed to extend his contract. https://metro

I think they would be absolutely mad to let him go. It's like when they got shot of Frank Lampard. Oh well ...

Other than that Lampard is delaying final decisions on transfers until after The FA Cup Final.

On the goalkeeping side of things, Chelsea have made a bid for Barca's Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

The Metro have said "Ter Stegen, 28, is considered one of the finest goalkeepers in the world and his ability on the ball appeals to Lampard, who wants his side to improve their play out from the back next term.

"Barcelona are keen on extending ter Stegen’s current deal, which expires in 2022. However, the club warned the German earlier this month that he needs to drop his wage demands due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Ter Stegen has not reacted well to those comments and told reporters that ‘we’ll see’ when he was asked if he would sign a new deal at the Camp Nou earlier this week." https://Kepa'sCrap

It's a good job Chelsea is owned by a rich Russian.

Jack

Last edited:
Anything is believable of Ashley. I talked about exactly that scenario with my wife just a couple of days ago. £50m more is a lot of cash given Ashley’s idiotic splurging on the High St.

Remember though, it shouldn’t have reached the point of doing a deal with the Yanks even being a possibility. The PL has a lot to answer for, 16 weeks of virtual silence is unacceptable. If the whole thing does go down the pan, they have killed the football club.
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/sta...-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=104288.2075

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back