advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good opportunity to play the reserves and U-23's. TBH I couldn't care less about the FA Cup when the League and Champions League are so winnable for this team.
Liverpool's U-23 side, at Anfield, should beat a League 1 side, and if they don't then well done Shrewsbury.

This is only an issue because they blew a 2 goal lead against Shrewsbury, and leaving it that late to put on Salah and Firmino when they could have been on after the penalty to wrap things up.

Somewhat surprised that Klopp has dismissed the FA Cup tbh, I appreciate the the EPL and ECL are his priorities but why the heck enter it in the first place ?

Only mickey mouse teams pull out of the FA cup because they have to play in the World Club Championship.

One of the reasons I don't really follow football is the undercurrent of acceptability of fan (and sometimes player) behaviour that would never be tolerated in other sports and the way the authorities more or less turn a blind eye to it. I fully believe if you let people behave aggressively and gloss over altercations as being 'high spirits' and the likes then you are just sending a message to the fanbase that it's OK to be that way and so on and so forth.

This is what (IMO) leads to this sort of thing happening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51290264

Whatever you think of the way Manchester Utd. is being run this is not the way to protest... he has two young children and having a mob chanting death to their father and attacking their home could have been very distressing to them... hopefully they were't there. Absolutely disgusting behaviour, but I bet no one will be charged let alone sentenced.

Agree.
Absolutely disgusting behaviour, but I bet no one will be charged let alone sentenced.
I imagine the perpetrators will have taken steps to mask their identity.

"The incident is reminiscent of another attack, in 2004, on the car of then club director Maurice Watkins, whose shares ended up being bought by Malcolm Glazer."
Oops.

Somewhat surprised that Klopp has dismissed the FA Cup tbh, I appreciate the the EPL and ECL are his priorities but why the heck enter it in the first place ?

Perhaps Klopp wants a rest himself, but I would have thought this was a good opportunity for a mix of the fringe 1st team players and U23 squad to work with Klopp and play under him in an important FA Cup tie. I think he has gone about the winter break replay the wrong way.

There is no TV coverage of the UK cup competitions here in the US, so hard for me to care one way or the other. But I think the LFC strategy, whatever it is, should be consistent. Either play the 1st team and make them a priority, or ignore them completely and leave it totally up to the U23s. The in-between strategy pleases nobody. TBH, I cringed when I heard that Salah and Firmino were brought on late versus Shrewsbury. If Klopp had allowed a Rashford-like injury to occur, he would have been severely criticized.

I'm hoping that Shrewsbury beat them.

Our home game against Liverpool is on the weekend of the semi finals, it would be rearranged for a midweek evening which is a pain for me.

Alternatively, Klopp could play the kids against us and the first team at Wembley as they will probably have won the league by then.

One of the reasons I don't really follow football is the undercurrent of acceptability of fan (and sometimes player) behaviour that would never be tolerated in other sports and the way the authorities more or less turn a blind eye to it. I fully believe if you let people behave aggressively and gloss over altercations as being 'high spirits' and the likes then you are just sending a message to the fanbase that it's OK to be that way and so on and so forth.

This is what (IMO) leads to this sort of thing happening

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51290264

Whatever you think of the way Manchester Utd. is being run this is not the way to protest... he has two young children and having a mob chanting death to their father and attacking their home could have been very distressing to them... hopefully they were't there. Absolutely disgusting behaviour, but I bet no one will be charged let alone sentenced.

You can't call these people supporters, they are criminals and should be treated as such. Truly despicable behaviour.
Yet, after two days, no sign of any of the Manchester United supports on the forum condemning this?

I have no sympathy for clubs, or managers who want to make the FA Cup easier for themselves. For many small clubs, their players, and fans, a replay at Anfield (or the Etihad, etc), is the stuff of dreams. The Premier League was formed for the top clubs to keep more TV money, and not have to support the grass-roots, so if they don't like it, don't take part.

The Double used to be talked about as a Holy Grail , no more and since City have done the Treble it's been demoted .

The Double used to be talked about as a Holy Grail , no more and since City have done the Treble it's been demoted .

Liverpool won the treble in 83/84 Champions, League Cup and European Cup.
Again in 2001, FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup.
How many times have Citeh won the European Cup?

Love the fact that Newcastle fans are so glad to be rid of Ashley that they are welcoming Saudis with open arms. As long as an owner spends supporters will be happy; morals don't get a look in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back