advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
this team might actually get more bums off seats
Based on last nights performance that would only be to queue for half time refreshments:)
Seriously though you must have been watching a different match to me.
United got an early break with the pen (has Pogba finished his run up yet?) and then in true Mourinho style rather than go for the jugular and actually entertain paying customers United just sat deep and handed the initiative to Leicester.
De Gea, as always, made a couple of excellent saves and Luke Shaw finished nicely having fluked his opportunity with a mis control.
Fred looked decent but will need to calm down or he'll be picking up yellows for fun.

Delusional
Utd will struggle to finish fourth.

I think you underestimate the league, Bob. United have no pressure on them now going into the new season, whereas City are on a hiding to nothing, win it, and it's what was expected, lose it, and they've messed up, plus I believe Pep is underplaying winning the Champions League as his goal for this season. Retaining the league title isn't easy, and the current price of 11-4 favourites to win a league is crazy odds.

Based on last nights performance that would only be to queue for half time refreshments:)
Seriously though you must have been watching a different match to me.
United got an early break with the pen (has Pogba finished his run up yet?) and then in true Mourinho style rather than go for the jugular and actually entertain paying customers United just sat deep and handed the initiative to Leicester.
De Gea, as always, made a couple of excellent saves and Luke Shaw finished nicely having fluked his opportunity with a mis control.
Fred looked decent but will need to calm down or he'll be picking up yellows for fun.

All valid points, but only the first game of the season. Leicester had more of the ball, and that's the way of Mourinho, and how many titles has he won doing that? United last season finished second with a points tally that could have made them champions in previous years, yet on the counter they were slow, and it showed with the goals for tally, but against they were very thrifty. Last night had a lot of room for improvement, which is a good thing, and I reiterate, they moved the ball quicker than last season which makes a hell of a difference when counter attacking, plus there are still players to return to the first team.

Chelsea beat Huddersfield 0 - 3 pretty easily, although the northerners were on the attack quite often in the first half.

Goals by Kante and a Jorginho penalty got us over the initial hump. After that it was pretty straightforward. Hazard came on with 20 minutes to go and immediately made a difference. Until then many upfield passes targeted Morata, who didn't play badly but still didn't score.

It's amazing how Hazard can get the ball in the Chelsea half, sprint forward and cut through and dribble around players. He did this in the last 10 minutes and laid on Pedro, who chipped the ball past the keeper.

I still think we need a world class striker. I've read that Sarri wants to play Hazard as a false number 9, although it didn't really happen today because Morata was already on.

Sarri did the same thing with Dries Mertens at Napoli with a lot of success. Mertens is slightly shorter than Hazard and wasn't a natural striker. The combination worked though because of the way Napoli supported Mertens.

It will be interesting to see if Sarri tries this. It definitely didn't work for Conte, in fact it undermined Hazard's style.

Arrizabalaga was cool after a slightly jittery start. He might be the world's most expensive goalkeeper, but he has already earned his place as far as I am concerned. He easily passed balls out of the penalty area to his Chelsea teammates. Courtois was so inept at this. I'm glad he has gone.

Jack

Last edited:
Entertaining match between Everton and Wolverhampton!

Richarlison had a fine debut, and Everton did well to grab a point with only 10 men.

The Wolves look like a really good addition to this year's PL.

I listened to the game and thought a draw would have been fairer. Maybe things are not looking so bad for you after all.

Bloss

Chelsea beat Huddersfield 0 - 3 pretty easily, although the northerners were on the attack quite often in the first half.

Goals by Kante and a Jorginho penalty got us over the initial hump. After that it was pretty straightforward. Hazard came on with 20 minutes to go and immediately made a difference. Until then many upfield passes targeted Morata, who didn't play badly but still didn't score.

It's amazing how Hazard can get the ball in the Chelsea half, sprint forward and cut through and dribble around players. He did this in the last 10 minutes and laid on Pedro, who chipped the ball past the keeper.

I still think we need a world class striker. I've read that Sarri wants to play Hazard as a false number 9, although it didn't really happen today because Morata was already on.

Sarri did the same thing with Dries Mertens at Napoli with a lot of success. Mertens is slightly shorter than Hazard and wasn't a natural striker. The combination worked though because of the way Napoli supported Mertens.

It will be interesting to see if Sarri tries this. It definitely didn't work for Conte, in fact it undermined Hazard's style.

Arrizabalaga was cool after a slightly jittery start. He might be the world's most expensive goalkeeper, but he has already earned his place as far as I am concerned. He easily passed balls out of the penalty area to his Chelsea teammates. Courtois was so inept at this. I'm glad he has gone.

Jack
Yes, agree with all that.

I've just got back from Huddersfield, sat with Huddersfield fans behind the goal, so had to keep my mouth shut, never easy, but a good watch nevertheless.

Rudiger and Luiz seemed tighter but it still bothers me that neither is a big 'talker'. Will they be able to maintain their positional discipline when we play teams that stretch us wide?

Morata didn't do much wrong, but he didn't do much right either. He was crowded out a lot of the time, but I feel he needs work on holding the ball and laying it off, rather than trying to turn the defender and running into traffic. Giroud would be a better option, but I guess he's not fit yet.

Interesting to see Hazard running straight at the central defenders position as soon as he came on. An instruction from Sarri? Within a few minutes, Hazards runs through the centre resulted in a goal and a dangerous free kick on the edge of the area. Morata could still be the one to capitalise on the space created as defenders go to Hazard. I do hope so.

Arsenal will be a tougher test, if we come out of that with a decent performance all round, I'll be happy.

Interesting to see Hazard running straight at the central defenders position as soon as he came on. An instruction from Sarri? Within a few minutes, Hazards runs through the centre resulted in a goal and a dangerous free kick on the edge of the area. Morata could still be the one to capitalise on the space created as defenders go to Hazard. I do hope so.

Arsenal will be a tougher test, if we come out of that with a decent performance all round, I'll be happy.

You're right about Hazard and perhaps he did have instructions from Sarri to take on the central defenders. He dribbled past five Huddersfield players I think it was when he got the free kick. Just a shame it hit the wall.

One newspaper report says how tickled Jorginho was by Hazard's attempt. He certainly laughed in appreciation. It is definitely important that Rudiger and Luiz maintain their positions. They can both be great players, but it is far better if they are attuned in to each other.

If Morata starts scoring things will be fine. If he doesn't, we should get shot of him in January and buy another striker. It's weird how some forwards flourish at Chelsea, while others like Torres and now Morata don't. I wonder why?

Jack

It appears that LFC is even more dynamic than last year! Their high press suffocated WHU, and even when the Hammers managed a bit of possession, or an occassional set piece, LFC defended well and counterattacked with incredible pace. Was a lot of fun to watch.

I have respect for both Milner and Henderson, but have to think that Keita, Wijnaldum and Fabinho are LFC’s top three midfielders. It will be interesting to see who starts from week to week. I love how Keita moves the ball so quickly, and almost always forward. At CB, I thought Gomez filled in quite well, but am expecting to see Lovren start next week. Jury is out on Allison as he wasn’t really tested today.

It appears that LFC is even more dynamic than last year! Their high press suffocated WHU, and even when the Hammers managed a bit of possession, or an occassional set piece, LFC defended well and counterattacked with incredible pace. Was a lot of fun to watch.

I have respect for both Milner and Henderson, but have to think that Keita, Wijnaldum and Fabinho are LFC’s top three midfielders. It will be interesting to see who starts from week to week. I love how Keita moves the ball so quickly, and almost always forward. At CB, I thought Gomez filled in quite well, but am expecting to see Lovren start next week. Jury is out on Allison as he wasn’t really tested today.
Yeah can't argue with the performance or result, I don't think there will be many points dropped for you lot at home this season. Still fancy Man City for the title myself though.

As for us we are clearly a work in progress and this match won't define our season - New players and new set up needs time to gel.

Bakayoko has had a medical at AC Milan. He is going on loan for 5 Million euros, with an option to buy of 35 Million.

Goodbye old bean. Don't bother coming back.

Jack

Bakayoko has had a medical at AC Milan. He is going on loan for 5 Million euros, with an option to buy of 35 Million.

Goodbye old bean. Don't bother coming back.

Jack
That's what I call a result:)
I remember listening to Gary Neville talking about Bakayoko before we purchased him; basically saying that he doesn't spot danger and is too often caught in possession - how right he was!

Yes, I know, it's only the MLS retirement league, but...

This was still a brilliant play last evening by Wayne Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back