advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a collection of Kepa saves and there are some spectacular ones, although the accompanying music is rubbish.

what is it with music in football videos? it's the sort of thing i imagine ronaldo's gino buddies play for him in his gaudy sports cars. is there a name for the genre?

Listening to Talksport this afternoon I was staggered to hear an ad to watch the United/Leicester game tomorrow evening on stream from(I think it was Now TV) at a cost of £7.99 - I think it was described as a day pass.
Maybe I've lost touch with the cost of watching footy in the UK but that to me sounds outrageously expensive?
To add a bit of context; in France I can stream via RMC Sport all the PL matches available in the UK (Sky/BT) plus a selected 3pm Saturday match plus all CL and Europa League matches at a cost of 19 Euros a month (no contract) or commit to a one year subscription for 14 Euros a month.
If I really wanted to wind up Mrs W I could add for another 5 Euros a month French/German/Spanish/Italian leagues.

I don’t think the NOW deal is excessive.
Season tickets are always cheaper per match than one off costs and I think £7.99 is very reasonable for a match.
Compare that to buying a ticket for a game (if you can), getting there, parking, etc..

I don’t think the NOW deal is excessive.
Season tickets are always cheaper per match than one off costs and I think £7.99 is very reasonable for a match.
Compare that to buying a ticket for a game (if you can), getting there, parking, etc..
The point I was trying to make was that streaming PL footy in the UK is way more expensive than in France and I suspect most other countries.
When I lived in the UK I had a season ticket (as in attended the matches) and a SKY subscription etc and didn't give the cost a second thought on the basis that 'it is what it is'.
Now I'm not UK based I can make an informed comparison.

Is Kepa at the Cortois level atm? He looks a great young prospect and might be really good value over the next 8-10 years. Looked at the video and apart from the Hollywood stuff, he did seem to push the ball back into play with a number of the strikes... he'll pay a heavy price for that in the EPL I'd fear?

What is staggering about some of the transfers is not the 50/60/70m ones paid out by the top teams, but the 20/30/40m ones paid out by the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Fulham, Wolves, West Ham etc. World has gone mad.

What is staggering about some of the transfers is not the 50/60/70m ones paid out by the top teams, but the 20/30/40m ones paid out by the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Fulham, Wolves, West Ham etc. World has gone mad.
When you see the amount of money PL clubs are raking in from TV it's not really that surprising.

Good start for ManU. Making Pogba captain worked out well. He seemed more energized, continuing the high level of play we saw from him in the World Cup. Also nice to see Luke Shaw finally get a goal!

Last edited:
Good start for ManU. Making Pogba captain worked out well. He seemed more energized, continuing the high level of play we saw from him in the World Cup. Also nice to Luke Shaw finally get a goal!
Looked like more of the same from last season to me.
Painful to watch but 3 points.

Couldn't disagree more, Webster, the combination of Pogba, Fred and Pereira made for a far more dynamic and energised midfield compared to last season. Last season everything was so slow it was far too easy to defend, with a bit more pace up front from a fresher Lukaku and hopefully Chong or Gomez from the youth ranks, would add the pace that Mata so badly lacks for playing wide right.. this team might actually get more bums off seats, instead of the groan of another attack breaking down.

FACT

The problems at United are much deeper than the coach. They are structural. There seems to be no long term plan of where the club wants to go. Signings seem to be knee jerk reactions or desperation buys as transfer windows close. They never stop telling everyone they are the richest club in the world in which case their unwillingness to compete for the best players suggests the Glazers are more interested in their annual profit scalping than success on the field. Ed Woodward talks about what a good year they had last year and uses increased Facebook and Twitter presence as evidence! He should be concentrating on bringing in the players asked for rather than preening over the latest noodle sponsorship.

Blimey, Bob, that's a very insightful and well thought out post for you, have been reading Red Issue? You're very much correct, the Glazers are foreign owners that instead of pumping in their own money and falsifying the status quo, actually use United as a giant ATM machine, and when you consider the cost of running the club, servicing the debt, and filling the owners coffers it just goes to show how much money the club pulls in. Nothing has changed from Fergie - Mourinho though, other than Fergie towed the party line and claimed that there was 'no value in the market', instead Mourinho states publicly that his list of transfers were requested, probably because he knew that what happened would happen, and they didn't bother to back him by bolstering the first team, and ultimately the squad. When United didn't make champions league and the investors got twitchy, the Glazers chucked money at it, just like Arsenal under Wenger, so long as he made top 4, the Arsenal board were happy. Sadly though, with Kroenke taking full charge, it's looking likely that Arsenal will go into a period when one man controls all, and that will mean that he can bolster other businesses and take money out of the club, and the board can do nothing about it, just like United and the Glazers... it's a really bad transition for Arsenal Football Club.

With all the talk of City already winning the league before a ball had been kicked, to Liverpool challenging for the title with City, and Man United won't even get top 4, my predictions are...

Man United
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Spurs
Everton

I still think that Chelsea may still lose Hazard before the Spanish transfer window closes, but we shall see.

With all the talk of City already winning the league before a ball had been kicked, to Liverpool challenging for the title with City, and Man United won't even get top 4, my predictions are...

Man United
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Spurs
Everton

I still think that Chelsea may still lose Hazard before the Spanish transfer window closes, but we shall see.

Delusional
Utd will struggle to finish fourth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back