advertisement

MQA to be rolled out on AQ dragonfly black & red

dan m

pfm Member
http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-blue-new-black

In a few short weeks, or long weeks depending on to what extent you've been infected with the audiophile bug, AudioQuest DragonFly Red & Black owners can download and install the free AQ app which facilitates a firmware upgrade turning your 'Fly into an MQA-enabled DAC.
The cost? Free.

If you're thinking, "Well the DragonFlys are limited to 24/96," you like me, would be wrong.

Cool. Will have to give it a go when it does.

Definitely worth a try if you want to check out MQA. The Tidal app will decode MQA itself and it will still play into any DAC, but you won't get the benefits of MQA without 'hardware' decoding from an enabled DAC.
Weather or not MQA in its current form is worthwhile, only time will tell - but either way, the Dragonfly is a great DAC for the money.
Remember to set Tidal, if that's what you're using, to Passthrough MQA if you want to hear the benefit of the MQA compatible DAC.

DFR is a very, very good DAC for the money, not to mention the size of it. I would bet not many people would be able to discern one from a Mojo blindfolded - it is that good.

As a general hater of AQ given the trash/tripe they bring to the market with their cables - a $1000 HDMI for instance. It shocked me with how good it is. No doubt this is due to Gordon Rankin but even so. I bought two, inc one for my dad one to listen to Spotify with his iPad and AFAIK, likes it a lot. A simple set up - iPad - CCK - Beyer T70p. Mine gets used a lot on the move as it's so convenient. Never heard any previous Dragonflies but the RED caught my eye and has been with me ever since I bought it. Unless they release another version, I cannot see me parting with it.

I personally don't care for SQ above 16/44 as I cannot hear a difference, unless this changes with MQA. In which case i'll report back but this is good to know nevertheless.

The Dragonfly is a (or will be, after the firmware update) 'MQA renderer'. It will only do the secondary unfolding after a desktop app has done the initial decoding.

I'd like to see some evidence of the need for this so called secondary unfolding going on after the tidal app. Tidal tech support have made no reference for specific dac requirements

advertisement

Back