advertisement

MQA fracas at RMAF 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that in Europe, the government is much more invasive into the business world, to protect the "people." This obviously creates a dependency on "authorities" to solve problems for you. The new campaign to complain to "Mommy" in order to shut down an audio codec is a good example.

My cereal claims lots of things on its box that are technically of dubious factual origin. I still enjoy the flavor. Do you go to a restaurant that says "Best Bangers in London?" Are they REALLY the best? Or are they just old re-ground Doner Kebobs? Denounce and report them to authorities!
*flavour.

I really don't understand why you had to fall back to personal attacks again, especially after being warned by a moderator.
I have no idea if this means that you'll be thrown out of the thread, but it sure shows that you remain unable to maintain a normal discussion.

I have made my informed decision on the basis of this thread.

I have no need for MQA. I do not want the music I buy as downloads to be changed / split / beefed up in any way after the final master has been completed. I want to hear it as it was intended by the producer warts and all. I have no need for an airbrushed version of my music.

Others may feel that they don't care. It is a free world.

I understand that in Europe, the government is much more invasive into the business world, to protect the "people." This obviously creates a dependency on "authorities" to solve problems for you. The new campaign to complain to "Mommy" in order to shut down an audio codec is a good example.

My cereal claims lots of things on its box that are technically of dubious factual origin. I still enjoy the flavor. Do you go to a restaurant that says "Best Bangers in London?" Are they REALLY the best? Or are they just old re-ground Doner Kebobs? Denounce and report them to authorities!

You understand wrongly. You have a superficial knowledge of Europe and you're just throwing slurs around in order to score schoolboy debating points. Is this how all your arguments work?

*flavour.

I really don't understand why you had to fall back to personal attacks again, especially after being warned by a moderator.
I have no idea if this means that you'll be thrown out of the thread, but it sure shows that you remain unable to maintain a normal discussion.
Obviously, being ostracized by a moderator, or even...gasp...being banned from an Internet forum is a huge threat to you. It is not to me.

And isn't you complaining about personal attacks a wee but rich? Pot, meet kettle.

I have been called a paid shill a number of times and even a "psychopath", for the mortal sin of liking they way a codec sounds and being straight enough to say it. Every time, your side proudly refused to withdraw the disgusting personal slur, as if it was your duty and a RIGHT to abuse me on this forum.

I'm happy to use the argument that mqa is inferior to lpcm, it is. But even then we don't get a fair go at it because the presence of mqa in a dac, my Brooklyn for example, degrades the lpcm performance unless you go out of you way to totally disable mqa.

You understand wrongly. You have a superficial knowledge of Europe and you're just throwing slurs around in order to score schoolboy debating points. Is this how all your arguments work?
It seems I understand the fact that European beurocratic heavy-handedness is exactly what led to the unfortunate Brexit backlash quite well. The same thing happened to us with Trumpism.

It seems I understand the fact that European beurocratic heavy-handedness is exactly what led to the unfortunate Brexit backlash quite well. The same thing happened to us with Trumpism.

Well done. You have just won stupidest comment on the internet about UK and EU politics.

Obviously, being ostracized by a moderator, or even...gasp...being banned from an Internet forum is a huge threat to you. It is not to me.

And isn't you complaining about personal attacks a wee but rich? Pot, meet kettle.

I have been called a paid shill a number of times and even a "psychopath", for the mortal sin of liking they way a codec sounds and being straight enough to say it. Every time, your side proudly refused to withdraw the disgusting personal slur, as if it was your duty and a RIGHT to abuse me on this forum.

I haven't called you a psychopath, nor have I abused you. I certainly do not see it is my duty. I have however given you plenty of opportunities to walk away from this discussion unharmed.

I have however quostioned your partialness, and still do, as you have been switching knowledgelevels and opinions very quickly.
Also, the way you keep on defending MQA, even on parts where you previously admitted that they were wrong is awkward to say the least.

But what bothers me most is that you, a grown man considers this to be a battle to the bitter end. It is not. Really, it isn't.
MQA made a lot of false claims, and we -discussed- them and have given you plenty of chances to learn more about the topic.

You're being terribly misinformed about the EU and Brexit, and as you brought Trumpism on yourself; you act the same way as Trump, you just start bullying the moment you start losing an argument.

You're being terribly misinformed about the EU and Brexit, and as you brought Trumpism on yourself; you act the same way as Trump, you just start bullying the moment you start losing an argument.

Which takes us back to the whole "musicians prefer MQA" argument.

It’s sit on hands time again before posting.
Argue against the content not the poster.
That applies to both sides of the MQA fence.

*flavour.

I haven't called you a psychopath, nor have I abused you. I certainly do not see it is my duty. I have however given you plenty of opportunities to walk away from this discussion unharmed.

I have however quostioned your partialness, and still do, as you have been switching knowledgelevels and opinions very quickly.
Also, the way you keep on defending MQA, even on parts where you previously admitted that they were wrong is awkward to say the least.

But what bothers me most is that you, a grown man considers this to be a battle to the bitter end. It is not. Really, it isn't.
MQA made a lot of false claims, and we -discussed- them and have given you plenty of chances to learn more about the topic.
---------------------
I have however given you plenty of opportunities to walk away from this discussion unharmed.
-----------------------

That sounds like some kind of a threat of harm. Would you care to elucidate you intentions?

Indeed i was called a psychopath by your lovely colleague, Emlin, who marks your posts, as you do likewise. Since none of your noble crew repudiated this verbal violence, it is now a stain you must wear as group. If one in a group of street or soccer hooligans spits on a passerby, and others offer words of encouragement, the group itself is culpable.

Finally, put your hatred on hold, and try to understand that MQA is the only hires option available in the US. Many of us enjoy it and we dont want to loose it.

Oh, i doubt that very much, i am a keen observer of UK politics.

It is clear to me, that Brexit (surely one of the stupidest political decisions in a generation), was only made remotely possible by the ignoring of the white grievance and economic insecurity of the British white lower middle class, which was cleverly conflated with Brussels beurocracy by your demagogues like Farage and Johnson.

As to you trying to tie me to Trump, thats quite not true. Always been a Trump hater and always will be. Got my resisT bumper sticker on my car and my money supporting Dems on the midterms.

Hi,
You seem to be commenting on subjective opinion in relation to the CD, HDCD, SACD in your first paragraph. No problem there.

With your second paragraph - you have made errors in "bandwidth filters don't ring". This was never said, and your sentence makes no sense either. It was stated that bandwidth limited signals do not cause filters to ring, and do not contain ringing if constructed correctly. This is a provable fact.

The Xivero paper is very well detailed and correct analysis of MQA. It proves MQA statements are false. MQA even dropped lossless - because the community challenged the lie.

The paragraph referring to MQA adds aliasing etc., was not stated by me. So i cannot comment.

The last sentence - no one is trying to kill anything. All people are doing, is responding to "false statements made with no evidence", and presenting the facts backed up with evidence. Discussing MQA on a forum is just that, discussion. Any discussion here will have no effect on MQA, because it is just discussion. People can make their own minds up.

Regards,
Shadders.
My point is your statement "CDs dont have ringing", as a blanket assertion, is not true. A CD made in 1988, with first generation brickwall most certainly does. CDs made today with high quality digital equipment and attention to amount of processing done probably dont. CDs done with heavy use of equalizers probably do. CDs done witj a minimalist cardioid mike direct to digital probably dont. Ringing is an artefact of filtration, so its a fact of life. It can be even used to "enhance" sound, if that is one's intention. Here is an audio demonstration, with your preferred linear phase filter, and an explanation about linear phase filter pre-ringing from an EQ software maker:

https://www.audiomasterclass.com/ne...se-eq-on-transient-signals-such-as-snare-drum

https://cravedsp.com/blog/linear-phase-eq-explained

Its silly to deny this phenomenon exists...yet you continue to do so.

The reason that you do - I think - is that it is simply a vehicle for anti-MQA criticism. Since MQA claims A (deblurring is beneficial), you will claim that the need for A doesnt exist (blurring isnt real), so you can declare MQA to be a "scam." There is a proper name for tjis logical falacy, but my education omitted formal debate courses.

As for criticism of MQA, much of it is conjecture, by definition, since system is unknown. It is proper to criticize them for maintaining it as a trade secret. But criticising them for what may or may not be in the system is, by definition conjecture and another form of logical falacy.

This debate is, however, is not new in the audiophile world, at least not philosophically. Many times technical sides of audio products are either proprietary or their methods of operation and supposed benefits are in general dispute, so conclusions cant be reached in an engineering analysis and testing.

In those cases, consensus is usually reached through the process of listening, reviewing and market forces, as in any artistic field. You may find this process messy and imprecise, but it is very informative. For example, many years ago i was at an audio salon, when a fellow audiophile complained about the sound of then new Audio Research Reference something or other. In order to express his dismay at the change of the AR sound, all he had to say was -"they made it sound like a Conrad!" - and everyone understood his complaint as well as his sound preference. You just can't beat the human ear...

I have never seen example of pre-ringing on CD as there is so little content close to the filter cut off.

The Audiomasterclass page you link has two samples. The linear phase example shows 50ms of pre-ringing, with a ringing frequency of 100Hz. This makes the pre-ringing very audible, but is completely different to the effects of a 20 kHz low pass.
If I apply a steep 20KHz filter to the minimum phase sample, I don't see any pre-ringing appear.
An interesting page by the way, using opus compression on the web is rare.

I have never seen example of pre-ringing on CD as there is so little content close to the filter cut off.

The Audiomasterclass page you link has two samples. The linear phase example shows 50ms of pre-ringing, with a ringing frequency of 100Hz. This makes the pre-ringing very audible, but is completely different to the effects of a 20 kHz low pass.
If I apply a steep 20KHz filter to the minimum phase sample, I don't see any pre-ringing appear.
An interesting page by the way, using opus compression on the web is rare.
My point was to demostrate that pre-ringing is a generic artefact of filtration, not isolated to DAC or ADC Nyquist band limiting. Therefore, any production that relies heavily on steep EQ (and that would be many), with systems that use linear phase filters popular today (again, many) would have some amount (maybe a lot) of low level pre-ringing artefacts. Since this would be an effect of many different EQ applications during production, it would stand to reason that the effects would overlap, producing some audible cumulative phenomenon that can be colloquially described as "blurring." Just saying - all of this appears to be well known in both signal processing and audio engineering worlds, but for some reason is a contentious debate in the audiophile community.

I dont claim to understand, how one would identify, isolate and mitigate this "production eq distortion." I am just bringing up its potential existence in at least some recordings.

Pre-ringing due to in band equalisation has nothing to do with the postulated pre-ringing from ADC anti-alias filtering, that MQA claim to remove. If the producer chose to use an extreme filter, which caused pre-ringing as in the Audiomasterclass samples, it is there in the master and cannot be isolated and removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back