advertisement

MQA fracas at RMAF 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
friend of mine was in the audience, frantically asking me to divulge the identity of "archimago", which I can tell you that I do not know, although he and I communicate on the Computer Audiophile site, but that aside, the degree to which my my friend was frantic, pales in comparison to the composure - lack thereof - of the MQA executives.

and for those of you on Facebook who would like to experience MQAmania the good, the bad, the... venture forth to this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/689938551214806

make sure to read the pinned post prior to tucking in to the threads, posts and comments.

CAVEAT LECTOR!!!

Interesting to observe the arguments and approaches marketing lead companies use to make progress in the audiophile world.

Afraid I can't see either the video or use farcebook. So maybe someone somewhere has written a detailed account? Or at least explain why 'frantic' need to identify archmago, etc?... Was someone trying to sue or diss him, but was struggling to be able to do so?

Afraid I can't see either the video or use farcebook. So maybe someone somewhere has written a detailed account? Or at least explain why 'frantic' need to identify archimago, etc?... Was someone trying to sue or diss him, but was struggling to be able to do so?

The need to frantically identify "archimago" was pretty much to attack/assail the messenger to discredit the message, rather than calmly/rationally discuss/debate what was being presented.

So they weren't able to make any specific criticism of the detail of any of his comments? Were they just asserting he was "wrong" as a flat claim with no substance as to why/how? I just looked at his webpages again and couldn't see anything on this.

I tried again on an iPad, then a win 10 laptop and had no trouble viewing the video on YouTube. What sort of problem are you having?

Alas, these days written accounts of lectures or public presentations are few and far between.

Afraid I can't see either the video or use farcebook. So maybe someone somewhere has written a detailed account? Or at least explain why 'frantic' need to identify archmago, etc?... Was someone trying to sue or diss him, but was struggling to be able to do so?

I prefer to use a light browser with javascript off, etc. If a video is available I tend to prefer to be able to fetch a copy (e.g. wget)) so I can have it as a reference in case there is a later argument and the source vanishes from the net. I'll see if I can find the youtube address for the actual video and fetch it.

I have not seen any mention of MQA in the mainstream press for ages, which is bad news for them.

Still mentioned regularly in Stereophile, I tend to skip it though as its far too modern for me. I’m currently listening to a real CD!

Sound isn't great but it's intelligible.

It's possible that YouTube delivers different qualities dependent on how you access it. I'm using the YouTube app on a phone with headphones.

The need to frantically identify "archimago" was pretty much to attack/assail the messenger to discredit the message, rather than calmly/rationally discuss/debate what was being presented.

I've only watched the first 15 mins or so thus far, but the guy at the back did seem to be trying to pull away from listening to what the speaker had to present into "go for the man who isn't here, not the ball". i.e. classic debating tactic. Sorry to say, I did burst out laughing when he said something to the effect that they'd been 'open'. All I've been able to find about how MQA works beyond marketing claims is the patents and vague descriptions. Since doing so I've also been told that what they actually do isn't as described in those patents. But because the details are under a layer of secret sauce, I can't analyse them fully.

BTW I don't know archmago. But I'd be happy to see sometime if I could replicate something he says he has done to see if I agree... or not... and then would be happy to be identified as having done so... or not... as may be the case. That said, it probably would take me ages as I'm very slow these days! So by then, the waggon train may have moved on anyway. :)

Jim

Edit: I guess MQA wouldn't regard me as either independent or qualified anyway! :)
Although my pretty sheet of paper telling me I'd lived for ages... erm was now an honoured IEEE 'Life Member' arrived this morning. But it still seems odd for the MQA people to complain that archmago's identity isn't known when they conceal the details of how MQA works, making it hard to independently assess in full.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back