advertisement

MPS 50th Anniversary George Duke vinyl reissues

Ted-M

pfm Member
Just picked up George Duke - Inner Source - MPS reissue from Soul Brother. The quality is superb, and the music is amazing - AAA remaster, lovely pressing, not a click on it. I may well pick up Faces In Reflection which is my all time favourite George Duke album, and possibly my favourite jazz album, even though I've got two copies already :)

Excellent Stuff. I’d highly recommend The Aura Will Prevail, an amazing album IMO. I’ve got original Decca-pressed MPS vinyl of that one and the rest of the MPS catalogue on a now unavailable CD box set. He was clearly a huge influence on Thundercat, Kamasi Washington etc. Great to see the vinyl being reissued (Amazon link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Probably the excuse I’ve been looking for to buy some George Duke records. I saw him with Zappa in 1973 but sadly don’t remember a single thing about the music they played. I suspect at the time it went completely over my head. Now I realize that could well have been the greatest rock band ever - if I could get in a time machine and experience one gig again that would be it.

Probably the excuse I’ve been looking for to buy some George Duke records. I saw him with Zappa in 1973 but sadly don’t remember a single thing about the music they played. I suspect at the time it went completely over my head. Now I realize that could well have been the greatest rock band ever - if I could get in a time machine and experience one gig again that would be it.

If you remember it you weren’t there?! :)
I’ve never listened to any Zappa although similarly I might start now I know George Duke was in that era of the band.
These MPS releases (which I think is 4 albums from 71 to 74, could be wrong there) are really great - it’s on the cusp of jazz fusion, but more jazz than fusion. George’s keyboard playing is extraordinary. There is also a touch of early synth soundscape/techno on a few of the tracks. Tasty! :)

Check out you can't do that on stage any more Vol 2 - The Helsinki Concert, you'll then hear what you missed.

Just snapped up the Aura will Prevail 71-76 7 LP box set after reading this. I have a few of these on CD, but the box looks like a beautiful thing.

Check out you can't do that on stage any more Vol 2 - The Helsinki Concert, you'll then hear what you missed.

Just snapped up the Aura will Prevail 71-76 7 LP box set after reading this. I have a few of these on CD, but the box looks like a beautiful thing.
Thanks good tip! :)
Hadn't seen that boxset, looks like a thing of beauty!
Quite curious to hear if Faces In Reflection LP sounds better than my pressings...

advertisement

Back