advertisement

MP3 lame encoder

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I have been using Jet Audio for a number of years now, mostly for time shifting internet radio shows, that I don't have time to listen to live. I have always found it to be a reliable means of recording music from my PC.

However, a few months back, I had a major PC crash and had to buy a new computer. As ever, it has taken a while to get things back to the way they were before the crash. One of the programs that I had to reinstate was Jet Audio and having no back up disc of this, I had to download a fresh copy, but for whatever reason, the latest version does not include an mp3 encoder. You are instructed to download the Lame Encoder from an external site, but wherever I put the file, jet Audio does not see it! So I am having to record as FLAC at the moment, with the resulting huge files.

Help please as to where to put the Lame Encoder file!

I gather there is the same issue with Audacity; why do they no longer include the file in their programs or is it a licencing issue?

Indeed as a long time user of Audacity I recall a few years back they stopped including the MP3 encoder (I believe as you suggest this due to licensing).
At least with Audacity their official download page includes a link and instructions for installing the Lame MP3 encoder.
Time to change your allegiance if Audacity does what you want ?

... I had a major PC crash and had to buy a new computer.

Sorry, but I have to ask - a 'crash' implies something amiss with the (single?) hard disk.

Presumably, the rest of the PC was still working, so why not just replace the hard disk?

Sorry, but I have to ask - a 'crash' implies something amiss with the (single?) hard disk.

Presumably, the rest of the PC was still working, so why not just replace the hard disk?

No, it was a hardware issue; the PC had been playing up for some time. I took the HDDs out and mounted them in external bays. With the benefit of hindsight, I could have just cloned the main drive, but I thought that I would take the opportunity of cleaning out some junk and starting afresh.

Since I bought the new PC, I have also replaced it's HHD with a 500gb SSD.

The issue with Jet Audio is purely that the latest version does not support MP3 unless you load a Lame MP3 encoder, nothing to do with the crash, hence the question.

Try the one for Audacity. Its a Windows installer package that will register the lame_enc.dll properly so that other software can find it.

advertisement

Back