advertisement

Moving on from the Dacmagic, who's done what?

Lordhenley

pfm Member
Would be interested to hear from people who have took the plunge and moved from the Dacmagic as I am in the market for a new Dac since I have just sold my Nait XS for a Luxman L505u. Currently the DM works quite well with the set up but I feel it could be bettered for not a vast outlay.

Ive tried the Naim Dac which in my opinion was not worth the money, found it very poor to be honest and dont like the idea of adding power supplies and filling the shelves full of black boxes for minimal increases in sound quality.

Dacs I have been looking at but not heard are

Arcam rdac
Lavry DA 10
Rega - I guess many people on hear have not heard it yet and could be worth the wait?

Any help much appreciated

Lee

Ta Da!

luxman1.jpg

DA-200_inside_big.jpg

I would wait for the Audiolab dac before deciding, is your main digital source computer or cd transport? if its the former then async usb is a must in my opinion.

I bought my daughter a lux integraded from the 80s 4 5 years ago from a friend. It has Dua Beta circuitry. I'm a bad dad. That amp sound like shit.

Would be interested to hear from people who have took the plunge and moved from the Dacmagic as I am in the market for a new Dac since I have just sold my Nait XS for a Luxman L505u. Currently the DM works quite well with the set up but I feel it could be bettered for not a vast outlay.

Ive tried the Naim Dac which in my opinion was not worth the money, found it very poor to be honest and dont like the idea of adding power supplies and filling the shelves full of black boxes for minimal increases in sound quality.

Dacs I have been looking at but not heard are

Arcam rdac
Lavry DA 10
Rega - I guess many people on hear have not heard it yet and could be worth the wait?

Any help much appreciated

Lee
Great: another DAC thread. :D

You say the Naim is "very poor". Is this compared with anything in particular or compared with your expectations based on the price? How about compared with the DAC Magic? What else have you tried?

Great: another DAC thread. :D

You say the Naim is "very poor". Is this compared with anything in particular or compared with your expectations based on the price? How about compared with the DAC Magic? What else have you tried?

It was compared to the Dacmagic at £230, its the only Dac I have got, the Naim Dac at £2000 is not worth the money, try one for yourself if you have not already.

I used Naim for 13 years and in that time had some good listening experiences, my only regret is that I never looked outside of Naim for HiFi, moving to the Luxman L505u, well thats like in a different class and this was compared to the Naim 202/200 combo at the time.

I used to run a cd3.5 before going down the route of mac and dac, the 3.5 is now in the loft and not in use, I dont intend on ever going back to cd players as the source, I just want to better the DM.

I bought my daughter a lux integraded from the 80s 4 5 years ago from a friend. It has Dua Beta circuitry. I'm a bad dad. That amp sound like shit.

Jack, try and get a listen to the newer stuff thats back in the hands of the original owners, the 80's stuff was apparently shit. The Luxman L505u at £2900 is a steal in my opinion, there aint no Naim kit even close to it at this price

I used to run a cd3.5 before going down the route of mac and dac, the 3.5 is now in the loft and not in use, I dont intend on ever going back to cd players as the source, I just want to better the DM.

How does the DM compare to the CD3.5? I'm thinking about making this move myself.

How does the DM compare to the CD3.5? I'm thinking about making this move myself.

I would say that the 3.5 is a bit more refined, I also use the hiface with the DM so I can connect via coaxial to the mac, which does make a big difference.

To be fair though the 3.5 has not been on now for at least 8 months, which was when I brought the DM, I guess I must not miss the cd player at all.

For the money nowadays of a dac is well worth it and ditch the cd player once and for all, you wont regret it.

advertisement

Back