advertisement

Moving on from Spendor SP2/3e

brab

pfm Member
I'm looking to move to full range speakers from the above. I'm happy with most aspects of what I have but would prefer floorstanders with more of the lower frequencies. It's very difficult to get home auditions especially with large speakers so I'd like to get recommendations from anyone here has moved on happily from these or other in the larger Classic speaker range. Thanks in advance.

I know this may not be terribly helpful, but I can't really imagine moving on happily from these Spendors to another brand without losing the qualities they offer (long-term satisfaction and naturalness). I can confirm that the larger models in the Classic Series (think SP1 and on) offer the same with more of the lower frequencies. I'd be looking at those with a decent set of suitably filled 30/40 cm stands to further tighten up the bass.

There's always Proac, of course.

He could allways add a BK sub which could be used in any forthcoming setup

Their 200 series are suprisingly compact and could be hided away, their 300/400 if size doesn't matter that much

All of them are great bargains

As for larger classic Spendors I second the SP1 range.
SP100 has become very expensive and open up for other competitors such as Graham perhaps

I spent a long time trying to get one sub to integrate... and failed. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but 2 subs are much easier to get sounding right IMHO.

I don't think subs could easily be integrated with the SP2. I did have some SP2/3r2 in the house for a week and the one thing I could never stop hearing was the port. It is huge. I'm not sure stuffing it would be a succesful solution.

Current classic Spendors do not perform as well as those designed and built during the Hughes era.

I suggest that you try the Stirling LS3/6 or the larger Graham Audio LS5/8, both designed by Derek Hughes who was also responsible for the development of your current speakers.

Proac Studio 148 or it's new replacement the DT8.

I've been a stand mount guy for years, but I love these. It's great having a speaker that is efficient, dynamic, plays loud, has bass.

I'm looking to move to full range speakers from the above. I'm happy with most aspects of what I have but would prefer floorstanders with more of the lower frequencies. It's very difficult to get home auditions especially with large speakers so I'd like to get recommendations from anyone here has moved on happily from these or other in the larger Classic speaker range. Thanks in advance.

Others have said it: careful there. I highly recommend auditioning the SP1 or SP1/2 on good stands in your current space. Before you make a final decision in another direction.

My favorite is the SP1. Its a chameleon ... mates well with a sweet tube amp if you swing that way ... or maybe a SuperNait II if you require authority. The bottom is superb and balanced ... to 55 hz ... maybe 50 hz with the right room and amp. IMO the SP1/2 requires a solid state amp to get its bass mojo working ... but it’s there.

You communicated that you enjoy that Spendor musicality. Get a better Spendor Classic.

WTS

Others have said it: careful there. I highly recommend auditioning the SP1 or SP1/2 on good stands in your current space. Before you make a final decision in another direction.

My favorite is the SP1. Its a chameleon ... mates well with a sweet tube amp if you swing that way ... or maybe a SuperNait II if you require authority. The bottom is superb and balanced ... to 55 hz ... maybe 50 hz with the right room and amp. IMO the SP1/2 requires a solid state amp to get its bass mojo working ... but it’s there.

You communicated that you enjoy that Spendor musicality. Get a better Spendor Classic.

WTS
Would you recommend the later Classlc models, R and R2 versions?

Would you recommend the later Classlc models, R and R2 versions?

No. These were not designed by the Hughes's and do not perform (measurably) or sound as good as the "originals". Tradition is no longer what it used to be...

Ok, I love my SP1's as much as anyone here, but would be hard pressed to support claims about the inferiority of later 'R'-versions.

I have the R version of the classic S3/5 as well, and it is glorious - easily betters the Harbeth P3ESR IMHO, and an amazing bargain at S/H prices.

As for Proac, my Response 2's are quite simply the best speaker I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Highly recommended as well.

Ok, I love my SP1's as much as anyone here, but would be hard pressed to support claims about the inferiority of later 'R'-versions.

I have the R version of the classic S3/5 as well, and it is glorious - easily betters the Harbeth P3ESR IMHO, and an amazing bargain at S/H prices.

As for Proac, my Response 2's are quite simply the best speaker I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. Highly recommended as well.

I've owned the Spendor S3/5R2 and P3ESR at the same time.... I cannot fathom your statement about the Spendor 'easily betters the Harbeth'. They are very similar true, but the Harbeth does have the edge.

I've owned the Spendor S3/5R2 and P3ESR at the same time.... I cannot fathom your statement about the Spendor 'easily betters the Harbeth'. They are very similar true, but the Harbeth does have the edge.
Let's remember the subject of this thread. We're still on page 1. I'm looking to go larger not smaller!

What's you evidence for this statement about the measurements?

John Atkinson who never openly criticises any equipment:

I must admit to some puzzlement over the Spendor SP100R2's measured performance, especially as, other than having tighter, better-controlled low frequencies, it doesn't appear to perform as well as Spendor's S100 from 20 years ago. Certainly, these measurements don't indicate why AD liked the speaker as much as he did. An enigma.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-classic-sp100rsup2sup-loudspeaker-measurements

And here, the Spendor S100 measurements from 1991
https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s100-loudspeaker-measurements

Many years since I gave my SP1's to the local school but never regretted it & prefer the sound of the modern Spendors. I have 2 pairs of A5R's, but my favourites at present are ProAc D20R's with ribbon tweeters replacing my 5 year old D18's just over a year ago & are a significant step up. Depending on your budget you could go up to the D30R but the D20R's are excellent & seem to get better & better with more use driven by Arcam C31 pre & pair of P1 power amps.

advertisement

Back