advertisement

Moving on from Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II - what next?

GRC

More Red Wine Member
Back in the day I had Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk IIs on the end of CDX/XPS/LP12/NAC52/Supercap/Nap135s all on Mana and it sounded great.

But the Naim boxes and Mana have gone and Devialet D200 has moved in; all is OK but I'm feeling the Dynaudios are a bit too restrained, polite and laid back, especially at low volumes. Plenty of bass, good overall balance and no problems when the wick is turned up, but I don't do that very often now. Call it middle-age or change of lifestyle - whatever.

I'm looking for a bit more "punch" - maybe even the old PRAT I used to have - but at lower volumes.

I'm tempted with KEF LS50s since they seem to do the biz, especially with Devialet's SAM, and (used) they're going for decent prices these days, although I have to factor in a pair of stands.

So just looking for any other suggestions - stand mount or floor standers - within the £500 - £1500 range (used or new).

Room size is 4m x 7m; speakers about 2.5m apart along the wide wall with a chimney breast between them and backs around 50-75cm from the rear wall.

Musical tastes mainly blues / modern / contemporary jazz (e.g. Oscar Peterson, Ben Webster, Dion, Tony Joe White, Morrissey Mullen, Rippingtons, Yellowjackets, Richard Elliot, Jeff Lorber).

Yes I know "you need to audition in your home" but that's difficult down here in the Algarve so often have to take a leap of faith.

So - suggestions . . . ?

Doncha just love these "what speaker" threads? :D

Harbeth P3ESR gets raved about for low level performance on here. I've never heard a pair, but I would love to hear what all the fuss is about, especially as Devialet SAM takes them from 65Hz to 29Hz.

They're compact & light for cheap shipping & you wouldn't lose much if you moved them on.

I've had the same issue. I bought 1.8/iis in 2002 (they were 5 years old as a design then), and like so many used a Naim 250 (now Supernait 2 suffices). They have a certain amount of restraint about them, but I've tried a lot of the likely replacements from Spendor, PMC, B&W, Proac etc, and the only speaker which really saw them off was the SL2s - and at that time I wasn't prepared to part with a further £5.5k. Now there may be more options - new Kefs, Cantons, Quadrals, but I have a uxorial embargo on change.

Harbeth P3ESR gets raved about for low level performance on here. I've never heard a pair, but I would love to hear what all the fuss is about, especially as Devialet SAM takes them from 65Hz to 29Hz.

Yep I'm intrigued about Harbeth speakers but the form factor is a bit of an issue chez nous, especially since they apparently need big open (ugly) stands.

I've heard great things about the SuperHL5 plus as well . . .

I've had the same issue. I bought 1.8/iis in 2002 (they were 5 years old as a design then), and like so many used a Naim 250 (now Supernait 2 suffices). They have a certain amount of restraint about them, but I've tried a lot of the likely replacements from Spendor, PMC, B&W, Proac etc, and the only speaker which really saw them off was the SL2s - and at that time I wasn't prepared to part with a further £5.5k. Now there may be more options - new Kefs, Cantons, Quadrals, but I have a uxorial embargo on change.

I heard SL2s when they were first released and thought they were great with Naim electronics. Don't come up very often now on the used market, still quite expensive, and not sure how they'd gel with a D200.

But worth a thought from a room positioning perspective.

I've had a D200 for two and a half years now. When I was choosing speakers, I took the D200 with me to dealer demos (one of the handy things about this wondrous piece of kit!).

I tried a wide range of speakers with the D200: Harbeth SHL5 and M30.1; Dali Epicon 6; Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde; PMC Fact 8; Proac D30R; Marshall Choong FS-1 and CM-3; B&W 804D; Spendor D7; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Cremona M, Olympica I, Olympica II; Martin Logan Theos and Montis; Vivid V1.5. And probably others I've forgotten.

Of the above I spent extended periods at home with the Harbeth SHL5, Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Martin Logan Montis, and Vivid V1.5.

Of these speakers my favourites are the Martin Logan Montis, BUT I wouldn't run them with the Devialet. (It's a long story and not for this thread: I still use the MLs in my main system but use a different amp.)

I really enjoyed the D200 with the Sf Cremona Auditor M: lovely combo. But this combo was beaten by the D200 with Vivid V1.5.

I now use the D200 with the Vivids in my second system, and it's a joy. Unfortunately the Vivids are crazily expensive; I got mine for a fair price second hand. If you find a pair, do try them.

but I'm feeling the Dynaudios are a bit too restrained, polite and laid back, especially at low volumes. Plenty of bass, good overall balance and no problems when the wick is turned up, but I don't do that very often now. Call it middle-age or change of lifestyle - whatever.

I'm looking for a bit more "punch" - maybe even the old PRAT I used to have - but at lower volumes.

As a Dynaudio Focus 260 (Focus Gen II) owner, I would say you're describing the "older" Dynaudio sound. I would say the new Focus series (now discontinued), Excite, Confidence, and even the older Special25 speakers are more forward and punchier. And while I enjoy mine at lower volumes, Dyns need good power to sound good at any level.

My suggestion, if you have not already, is to demo newer examples from the Dynaudio lineup. Perhaps the Excite X18 on the low end or the Confidence C1 Platinum on the high-end. If you're willing to consider active speakers, then also the Xeo4 and XD200. (Referring to stand-mount speakers only.)

Yep I'm intrigued about Harbeth speakers but the form factor is a bit of an issue chez nous, especially since they apparently need big open (ugly) stands.

I had Contour 1.1 for years. What a great speaker. I now have Harbeth P3ESR and SHL5+. Like all Harbeth owners, my role in life it to persuade that there are no better speakers available in the universe. Besides that, the open stands are dead ugly to my eyes and I have just ordered the much better looking HiFi Racks stands. One of the guys at Harbeth uses them with SHL5+ and he assures me there is no effect on performance. Harbeth also use the HiFi Racks stranded at exhibitions.

They are more expensive - the open stands are £300, HFR stands are £500.

I bought Harbeth as I heard the M30.1 with a Devialet 200 and was hugely impressed. Harbeth do really benefit from the bit of extra power that you get from the D200.

I have used Dynaudio Excite X12, and moved on to the Focus 160. I have never heard the earlier Dynaudios and so cannot make a direct comparison. However, I certainly do not describe either of them as restrained etc. I suggest that, if you believe in the house sound theory, Dynaudio has possibly moved to a more dynamic part of town. There is much enjoyment to be had from their more modern offerings.

I'd suggest some Focals.

I had the 1.8 mkII's myself and agree that at low volume they don't really come to life. I had them on the end of some Bel Canto gear so similar digital amplification to the kind you're using now.

I went to focal 1007's because of room size, but a good friend of mine has the 1028's on the end of Bel Canto gear and they are a significant improvement over the previous generation. Nice sound, musical, clean bass, smooth top end. Easy to drive as well, work at low volumes.

You should be able to get a set of 1007/1008 in your price range. (make sure you only consider ones with the proper dedicated stands though, they complete the package)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I like open frames.
tontrager-full-range.jpg

Don't have to be open though. Those Skylan are supposed to be good.

DSC_0508.jpg

I also heard great things about the Super HL5+, so I went to hear them. Not for me. I then took a punt on a mint pair of M40.1. Again, I'm not knocking them, but they weren't for me. IMHO, they sound like they look. Boxy. Maybe it's those Ports? Particularly Front ports. I am interested to hear P3ESR though, which is Sealed.

Buy used at the right price. Try whatever you like then. If it's not for you, move it on.

another vote for the Dynaudio Focus 260 -- but since near-wall placement is needed, how about some SBLs or Allaes?

Great input folks - but interesting that no-one has commented on my suggestion of KEF LS50s or proposed ATC SCM40s which I was also thinking about (albeit concerned about an overly-analytical (=dry) presentation).

I have used Dynaudio Excite X12, and moved on to the Focus 160. I have never heard the earlier Dynaudios and so cannot make a direct comparison. However, I certainly do not describe either of them as restrained etc. I suggest that, if you believe in the house sound theory, Dynaudio has possibly moved to a more dynamic part of town. There is much enjoyment to be had from their more modern offerings.
Was it a big upgrade?

I've had a couple of Harbeths but for music to come alive at lower volumes, I would recommend a late pair of Shahinian Super Elves or secondly any of the Gurus.

just summarising here :
I have some great speakers in the dynaudios and it sounded great with my naim combo , but now i have a Devialet 200 and it sounds rubbish.

so surely you need to find a decent amp again don`t you ? the devaliet is just not doing the job by the sounds of it

Being an ex Dynaudio fan i had to take a similar path. Once we had the kids it meant I couldn’t crank the volume up and as you say they just dont cut it at low volume levels.
I have been through a fair few well regarded standmounts and the best i found are my current Acoustic energy reference 1’s.
They certainly would suit the musical tastes you mention.

advertisement

Back