advertisement

moving coil advice

simont150867

pfm Member
Hello all,
As the title suggests I would like other pfm'ers opinion on a decent (but cheap) mc to temporarily replace a lyra clavis dc that has a bent cantilever. Rest of the system is LP12 Aro, 82/250 Credo with a prefix into the 82. I have a 6 year old boy who loves music and intend to show him how to play an LP in the near future :eek:
ps it was me that bent it!

As I went from a Clavis to a Helikon some ten years ago, can I suggest a good, used Helikon (round about £400) as a replacement? I guess a repair of your Clavis by ESCO is not likely to be far short of this and you'd have to wait awhile, too.

Simon,

I'm going though the same issue myself. Yet many here appear to be fond of the Audio Technica AT - 33PTG or 33EV or Dynavector 10X5 or Denon DL - 103R at the cheaper end of the scale, while I'm looking at a Dynavector DV - 20X2H along with a cheaper Ortofon Vivo Red.

There's also a newer version of the AT OC-9ML/3 that many claim is far better sounding then its older versions as well as a newer Denon DL - A100 Anniversary Edition which retails for $500 here in the States.

Many here like the Dynavector cartridges more so then the Lyra brand saying they're more refined and less colored as well. I hope this helps a little bit?, as I'm new to the MC game myself only have owned both a Lyra Lyrian Beta and Dorian Mono along the way.

But know all to well - there's life beyond Lyra.

Regards,
Oscar

... a lyra clavis dc that has a bent cantilever. Rest of the system is LP12 Aro ...
I thought I was the only one with LP12/ARO/Clavis DC. It's a fantastic combo, isn't it?

Will you be sending your Lyra back to Japan? The last time I conversed with Jonathan Carr, he said that the DC can be rebuilt at the factory to original specs. Mine is getting on, and will no doubt need refreshing soon.

As a temporary replacement or back-up cartridge, perhaps the Lyra Delos or DV 20X2L would suit.

Simon,

Whatever Lyra cart's are, they are most certainly not coloured. DVs are considered a less analytical (= more musical?) alternative, but there's no question that the Helikon was a direct successor, and a better cart., than the Clavis.

Refurbishing your Clavis, even in this country, isn't cost effective, i.m.o., when an upgrade with years of life on it (Lyras last a long time) is easily achievable.

As your Clavis is worth 25% of its replacement as a trade-in against any other Lyra, it might be worth your while considering this option.

Hi

I have a Helikon with v low hours that I`ve upgraded from, and would consider selling for a fair price...owned from new, well under 400 hours, excellent condition,all original packaging & instructions etc. Pics available on request

laurie

A retip will be under £300 with ESCO, so 'value' depends on how much you like the cart vs the cost of an upgrade.

I had a LP12/Prefix/ Aro, 52/135's/SBL's with a Lyra Clavis DC after swithing from a Troika and the difference was significant as the Clavis DC was just more transparent (imho).

After selling the LP12 combination but first getting the Troika retipped etc, I hung onto the Clavis DC due to approximately 70 hours use only and I will probably end up keeping it and feel it's a really excellent cartridge even now days so biased when I say I would get it re-tipped at Expert Stylus as they will check it over completely including coils etc.

On the other hand I have seen good reports of the Lyra Delos and that's compared to the Lyra Titan. The Delos seems to have the sweet spot between price and performance.

advertisement

Back