advertisement

Move up from NAIT3 MM boards??

I’ve a NAIT3 I have no desire to get rid of it works so well with my KEFs, the whole thing is a load of fun, but has anyone have experience of upgrading to something like a Graham Slee from the built in boards? I can sacrifice refinement for fun. What am I looking at spending?
Thanks

Update
Pink Triangle, Russ Andrews PSU, OriginLive RB250, Achromat, Nagaoka MP110 (though I'm playing with an AT VM95C, more touch and impact, less detail and sheen) speakers KEF XQ1

Last edited:
What am I looking at spending?

Whatever is the going price of Trichord Dino 1 these days, 150-200GBP? You don't have to sacrifice anything and you even get MC phono stage for the money.
Or Dynavector P-75 for a bit more, but I'd get Dino first, then MC cartridge perhaps. You didn't write anything about your TT.
You can try Graham Slee on their home loan scheme, if you so wish.

I’ve a NAIT3 I have no desire to get rid of it works so well with my KEFs, the whole thing is a load of fun, but has anyone have experience of upgrading to something like a Graham Slee from the built in boards? I can sacrifice refinement for fun. What am I looking at spending?
Thanks
If you’re handy with a soldering iron the decoupling caps could be replaced on the 522 boards.

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/preamps.html

I’ve a NAIT3 .... I can sacrifice refinement for fun. What am I looking at spending?
Thanks

Well, can you sacrifice fun for refinement ?
A Nait 3 will perform slightly better with phono boards removed.

A dedicated external phonostage often improve things even a longer signal path.
OTOH your 5xx boards are really good and what Naim used in their flagship Nac 52 decades ago.
Guess their latest phonostage inside a Supernait 3, is based on same circuit.

Maybe a separate power supply for the Nait (Flatcap/Hicap or others) might be a better option in generel ?
Perhaps you get more suggestions if we know what your setup consist of ?

Maybe a separate power supply for the Nait (Flatcap/Hicap or others) might be a better option in generel ?

I think you have to modify the NAIT 3 before you can add an external PSU

I think you have to modify the NAIT 3 before you can add an external PSU
Yes, and there are two ways to do this:
  1. The official Naim method which is intended to sell more NAP and CAP by simply converting NAIT3 to NAC92 (with an unused NAP90 within, and a redundant mains cable hanging out the back).
  2. An unofficial NAIT 5 style conversion method where the NAP90 section can still be used. This method allows for a number of usage scenarios;
    1. NAIT 3 (with 5-DIN link plug on NAC92 section, and Naim part 'LINK PLUG, FLEXI, 4-WAY, NAIT-5' or SNAIC4 fitted as bridge from NAC92 to NAP90 section).
    2. NAC92 with power from NAP or FLATCAP/HICAP/etc. supply.
    3. NAC92/FLATCAP(/HICAP etc.)/NAP90 in two boxes; with external supply connected to 4-DIN on NAC92 section, and with Naim part: 'LINK PLUG, FLEXI, 4-WAY, NAIT-5' or SNAIC4 fitted as signal bridge from NAC92 to NAP90 section.
Method 1) requires severing 4 links between the NAC and NAP boards (plus optionally cutting a 24 V link on the NAC board to allow for dual rail power *) and installing 1 x 4-DIN & 1 x 5-DIN sockets on the pre-amp board.

Method 2) includes all steps in method 1), plus installation of a 4-DIN socket on the NAP board.

Thankfully, the chassis was standardized across the whole range, so all holes are pre-drilled in the rear panel metal, with only the plastic rear panel label needing cutting out to reveal them. These days, most who do this, or have this done, combine such with a partial or full re-cap of the NAP90 section. I suspect that some simply opt for the conversion when it comes time to recap their NAIT3.

Member @nimsterov posted an excellent guide on this entitled 'How to Split Naim Nait 3' on here, back in 2016.

* Leaving this link in circuit eliminates the need to fit a 5-pin link plug when powering the NAC92 section from an NAP, however, the dual power rails of NAC92 remain linked when using FLATCAP/HICAP etc.

Fully split NAIT 3 in NAIT 3 mode [credit: @nimsterov]:
jMnJHXoLCZkO6msXBjVGts7pZ7MWe_2dud8Sln7_FqdJs4b_ilp9CsuayiopT08rRewjKd0jeL0bf9XoF3wQtAqiogiNYvGfhI9ZF5PB0ReOEy0Qrkl_YlJIEc46l90PgRewx9HWHKUOnQV0cNVgxSe6KbMKm33HN1XwakweBin93f_eekR9ezDVEt5y0kKnuS2eTSXfSUWHkGF9pZPIuJffkGMPCJR3ruTlivpLzBxenxDu82219xpFWmc7eykT8mNo9CC36jYyj1s6tcEEoVA7PXCkx2xgdcUFCX-ki5MpmsdSn4CzuI8Bd1UpVjjG0Fkt4kgsV1fIBjcgXkS7JlvERYjz1lMPKX9UhEhlLtAxnPpEya4Ijy9S8zzul-B4JzGpdKQynjR2bCj_szj2bC1nlUDD0zorNlxVM_KanljOJHpHutUsMhIDihxORAzjP8k_3xBoAmXsAR9snVD2o2pEG48NXwf28u3CkLzd_Rv4C1cFA63o142zjM0imr5MMzJLfLEpWJp6pL9Gc_6Esc6aUIow8Rv88ze5-8-bh5nXmPNL9C0HPkuv92bvAOutbTlm82468pWyHVZCmZeg2f-zdQxjvEL4=w923-h406-no

Last edited:

OTOH your 5xx boards are really good and what Naim used in their flagship Nac 52 decades ago.

Thanks. I've updated the original post

"A Nait 3 will perform slightly better with phono boards removed." Thanks I'd not considered that potential double win, and I assume I can sell the boards on? Will they be marked with model??

The best thing one can do to improve Naim MM boards is to change out the 470pF input loading cap for a 100pF one.
You'll definitely want to do that with the AT VM series cartridge. There's a distinct lack of excitement with them and stock Naim MM boards. Reducing the input capacitance reaps huge rewards and brings the sparkle back.

You'll definitely want to do that with the AT VM series cartridge. There's a distinct lack of excitement with them and stock Naim MM boards. Reducing the input capacitance reaps huge rewards and brings the sparkle back.
I'd say there exists sparkle, but in the wrong place. :)

advertisement

Back