advertisement

Move offline archived emails from Thunderbird to Outlook

Gerard124

pfm Member
Could somebody kindly advise the procedure to move archived emails stored in Thunderbird over to Microsoft Outlook desktop app?

I'm not familiar with Thunderbird but the usual procedure is to export everything to a .pst file and then reimport it into Outlook. No idea whether Thunderbird supports .pst files or something that that Outlook would recognize as one. Try Google.

That only allows 10 items for free then you need to pay. I think most/all are click bait demo/limited use.

TBird can't export to PST.

You can just copy the emails to a folder on your desktop then drag them back to Outlook cos they are .eml files, if you have a lot it's a PITA. Used to go TBird to dbx to Outlook Express to pst to Outlook, no use on a new PC as no OE.

I'd setup a GMail and IMAP the TBird mail to it then setup GMail in Outlook as IMAP and they will sync back down - export to PST if you need to from there.

Gus

Moving email from Thunderbord is an utter PITA. I went through this probably 6-7 yrs ago after using Thuunderbord for many years and I dont think the process has got better since. If you are expecting a magic method to appear, it doesnt exist as far as I know.

I'd setup a GMail and IMAP the TBird mail to it then setup GMail in Outlook as IMAP and they will sync back down - export to PST if you need to from there.

Gus

^^^

What Gus said : I did something similar a few years back (although not involving T-bird) - regret cannot remember how I did it, I found steps online somewhere & it was a one off - & it achieved the desired outcome.

Personally I'm against putting personal info onto gmail and similar free sites such as Skype as the data can be pinched by the site owners.

I had another quick look today and I have a Thunderbird extension 'ImportExportTool 3.3.2' and it can export eml messages to a folder PDQ.

There is an Outlook utility on this site (link below) that will automatically import the eml files. I have tried it on the exported Thunderbird eml folder with Outlook 2007 and it is also PDQ.

https://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookMessagesImportEML

Cheers,

DV

Hope the OP won’t mind a slightly OT post...

After many years, am also trying to move off Thunderbird and to Apple Mail. Even worse, have been using POP instead of IMAP for years, and have 12k+ messages in my inbox on my provider’s server.

My motivation for doing this is better syncing and common UI between multiple Apple devices. IMAP looks like it will automatically sync my inbox across my devices, but what about saved email folders? Do I have to upload them to my provider’s server for all my devices to be able to access them?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

No experience of Apple email but it looks to be IMAP so will work OK.

If you have lots of POP emails on your PC and folders in your email program with saved emails then I use emclient as it imports from just about anything.
https://www.emclient.com/
Free version is all you need as works for 30 days. It is a great program as an alternative to outlook for long term use.

Steps:
1. Save a backup before starting just in case.
2. Import email into emclient, it will also import the account server settings usually.
3. When you are happy emclient has everything from your POP emails and saved email folders disable that account in emclient settings so it stops receiving mail on that account, the emails will still be in the program so are safe as they where pop emails and are in a local folder tree.
4. Force emclient to save a backup so you have a copy, I change the backup quantity to 5 versions so you have a few revisions.
5. Add a new Imap account with the server settings you use.
6. When this new Imap account is working you can copy or move emails from the old email local inbox folders into the IMAP inbox, they will upload and may take a while.
Also move the saved email folders by dropping them onto the IMAP email account or right click and 'move' and they will start to upload.
If there are thousands of emails uploading will take awhile if you are on a slow upload connection and if your provider rate limits uploads.
7.Once you are happy that everything is in your emclient program IMAP folders then you can add the email account as IMAP to apple mail and everything will synchronise.

If you are using a cheap provider such as a budget website host then consider something higher quality such as https://mxroute.com/ great for IMAP email and doesn't cost much.
Always best to have email hosting in a separate account than your website host.
There are often great promotions at Mxroute.

Good luck.

If you are looking for the best MBOX to Outlook PST Converter tool, then you can try ToolsGround MBOX to PST Converter software. The tool migrates MBOX emails into Outlook PST format from mailboxes of Thunderbird, Entourage, Apple Mail, Eudora, and Pokomail, etc. The tool supports all Windows operating systems and MS Outlook versions.
More Info;- https://www.toolsground.com/mbox-to-pst-converter/

Those user who want to migrate the data from MBOX to PST file format they can try a software that is the Softaken MBOX to PST Converter. This application the great solution to migrate the data from MBOX file of any supportive email client to Outlook PST format without any problem. This software is a direct solution for the conversion process and make the data simply migrated into Outlook PST format.

Not to bother, I will help you to move your Offline archived emails from Thunderbird to Outlook. Now, visit here and follow the step-by-step process: data-migration-solutions.mystrikingly.com/blog/thunderbird-to-pst

advertisement

Back