Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[IC] (Mostly TDA 1541) vintage CD players

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by pickwickpapers, May 30, 2022.

1. pickwickpapers

pickwickpapers pfm Member

Seeing if anyone here's interested in these, before looking at other avenues.

In general, I'm listing these as 'spares or repairs'. And hopefully would sell to those that can fettle etc.

Most I think 'work' when allowed to warm-up etc. Some more reliably than others.
    Obviously all of them are up against the clock, if you'll excuse the pun.
    It's the drives in general which are getting unreliable (at least in terms of obvious problems) - quite a lot of whirring, and draws sometimes opening, sometimes not.
    Generally, if a disc gets 'in' it plays ok.
    Some of them are, from memory, largely 'reliable'. Although 'reliable' in this context is decidely qualified.

I'll check-out any that an interest is shown in more carefully and report back.

I'd be looking for around £40 each. Plus postage (which I'd discuss with a buyer).

Rotel RCD-855 (reliable iirc - need to put a plug / cable back on it).
    Marantz CD 45 (x3)
    Philips CD 160 (reliable irrc).
    Marantz CD273 (with S1 chip) SOLD
    Marantz CD 65II (1541A chip) with remote (possibly box). Reliable irrc.

Rotel RCD-930AX (with remote). Reliable - missing button cover, but button still works.
    Aiwa XC-900 with remote. CD draw like a rolls-royce! reliable iirc.
    technics SL-P477A (with remote possibly). Reliable irrc.
    Technics SL-PG5 (with remote possibly: i.e. I have one Technics remote). Reliable irrc.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  2. pickwickpapers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    all 3 of the Cd 45 players are in similar cosmetic condition (not a crack on the cd draw cover - rather, a reflection - same for other pics.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mike P

Mike P Trade: Pickwell Audio

I'll take the Marantz 273SE please.

PM on the way.

4. Mike P

Mike P Trade: Pickwell Audio

Oh, and the CD75 isn't going to be a dual TDA1541. The TDA1541 is itself and 'dual' DAC chip, as opposed to the twin mono DAC chips used in many earlier players. A lot of Japanese players had text on the front along the lines of 'dual DAC' but its referring to the dual/stereo architecture of the single DAC chip rather than saying it has two chips.

AnilS and pickwickpapers like this.
  5. pickwickpapers

marantz 273 SOLD.

6. snaphappybob

snaphappybob pfm Member

Always hankered for a 273, my first CD player

7. pickwickpapers

I would recommend any of the early players here for those that haven't tried one.

The CD 45 with it's 14 bit 1540 chip sounds very good (hence my having 3!) imo.

the philips 160 here is excellent too.
    And the Marantz 65II is a lovely smooth sound.

obvs. YMMV, and partnering equipment / music mastering period, play a large part, but I've found most CD players made after this initial period tend towards aural sharpness / thinness etc in comparison.

8. NeilK

NeilK pfm Member

PM'd re the 65ii ...

9. pickwickpapers

PM replied to.

NeilK likes this.
  10. Countryman

Countryman Semi-reformed box-swapper

Pm sent re 855 and Marantz 65

11. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

Phew saves me asking about the 855

12. pickwickpapers

hi folks.

can I just stress to anyone who might be interested in one of these - please read my opening post.

they're being sold as 'spares or repairs' with varying degrees of reliabilty and no g'tee as to their remaining useful for any length of time. They all need servicing ideally; obviously given age etc.
    But most of them work 'most' of the time as it stands.
    I bought most of them from ebay and received them essentially with the frailities they still exhibit - but worked 'with them' to enjoy using them for a while. I'd be continuing to do so if I was listening to CDs / Digital with any seriousness / regularity.

If they were, by some miracle, 100% reliable, I'd be asking for more than £40-50 each.

Ta.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  13. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

Is the 855 away?

14. pickwickpapers

still available.
    I'll PM you with the details.

15. pickwickpapers

Rotel 855 sold @ say it as it is.