advertisement

Most under-rated.

pocketkitchen

I'm currently listening to my Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones plugged into the back of my Mac which is running BitPerfect software (Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, since you ask!). It sounds bloody marvellous. Few people ever mention these headphones and they seem mostly used for pro-applications; DJ/broadcast etc. As lovely as things like HD650s are, these are my favourite headphones in the absence of being able to afford Audeze or Stax. The BitPerfect software costs a massive £6.99 and again seems rarely mentioned with other more expensive things seemingly more popular.

What are the most under-rated bits of kit in your opinion?

I'm currently listening to my Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones plugged into the back of my Mac which is running BitPerfect software (Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, since you ask!). It sounds bloody marvellous. Few people ever mention these headphones and they seem mostly used for pro-applications; DJ/broadcast etc. As lovely as things like HD650s are, these are my favourite headphones in the absence of being able to afford Audeze or Stax. The BitPerfect software costs a massive £6.99 and again seems rarely mentioned with other more expensive things seemingly more popular.

What are the most under-rated bits of kit in your opinion?

The HD25's are actually very well know in headphone circles. I use a pair all the time.

My early '70s PrinzSound SA-2001 is certainly underrated! Laugh all you like, but every day, listening to it in my work room, I'm pleasantly amazed.
And there's a whole Naim system in the main room to compare it with.

I know they are in headphone circles but if you talk to hi-fi industry bods, no-one seems to rate them other than as a DJ 'phone - which is often used almost as an insult. Audiophiles seem not to rate them which is odd, I feel. Back to the question though...

Vortexbox, which can be downloaded for free and installed on most laptops and PCs. An Audioquest Dragonfly which cost a shade over £100 and offers fantastic performance beyond it's price tag. It also has an excellent headphone amp built in.

Still haven't heard a Dragonfly. Will do soon hopefully. The thread wasn't meant to be limited to phones and computer audio though.

You started it!! I half-thought you were going to propose 'HDMI cables' . . .

OK, more palatably then (nothing like telling people what they want to hear) small active speakers, in general. And some record player gadget probably. Or room correctifiers and that. Speakers, maybe: they're under-rated. No, wait: I do have serious suggestions: pro PA amps, hard-wiring out connectors, battery-powered everything and low-noise computer sources - all still under-rated.

I own HD25-1 II phones also. They are good value for money SQ-wise and easy to drive without an amp. Very tough throw-in-a-bag construction and they block ambient noise well. Just good multi-purpose phones really. If I had to live with one set of cans, these would be sufficient.

Also good value are the AKG Q701 open phones, once you carry out the "bass port mod" discussed on head-fi anyway (just remove an internal sticker). They benefit from an amp more though.

advertisement

Back