advertisement

More Pi problems

kensalriser

pfm Member
After being away for a week with everything turned off/disconnected, I've returned to find a non-functioning Pi. Turns out the 9 month old SD card is fried and I noticed it was running extremely hot; the card was literally too hot to hold.

Th Pi is back on line with a spare hifi berry enabled card, but not playing music, either under its own steam or via Squeezelite/LMS. The hifi berry player is laughably crap so I've no doubt I'll have to either reinstall PCP (which has never really worked well for me) or something else...but in the meantime what can I do to get the audio playing? The LMS window shows music sources but all the tracks are greyed out. Hifi berry finds a very limited amount of music but just doesn't respond to play.

No doubt I'll be back on the phone to maninaavan in due course!

What rpi model are you using? Is it in a suitable cooling case?

Me, I’m using a rpi4 in a metal heat sink enclosure, USB out to a DAC powered by a LPS. It’s only just warm to the touch, never hot. Running Ropiee as LMS player and sounds great, better than picore player that I tried previous…

Could you reconfigure the card to say Moode? That’s a simple setup and fiftyish radio stations built in. I’ve been running three Pi over the last year and they seem pretty solid. They are so cheap: grab a spare for Elimination purposes.

It's a Pi 4, not in a case at the moment. Running temperature is fine with the replacement card so there was clearly a problem with the faulty one. PCP was sort of functional, it found all my audio but I could never get it to play an entire album/release or queue tracks, it would only play one track at a time. Maybe I'll try Moode. I do seem to have spent as much time setting up and trouble shooting as playing music.

Volumio? Even someone as stupid as me was able to install it without any problems. Seems to work fine so far. I did install PCP, well the first stage, but after that it was all proving a bit complicated. Having read a little on these matters I do like the sound of Moode, I might give it a try at some point.

Well I use a Pi3 with a Hifi Berry and it’s fine BUT I have had problems like yours in the past, and the root of the problem was the Pi itself, in particular the bit which reads the card.

Get the thing going, playing music, without the hifiberry, just use PiCorePlayer. If it doesn't work then buy a new Pi.

Did you shut down LMS cleanly when powering down, or just pull the plug? It doesn’t like being switched off at the wall without the server being shut down first. I came a cropper switching off an extension cable that had my LMS pi plugged into it and ended up having to reinstall/configure LMS again

I am using picoreplayer + LMS on a Pi4. I find I do occasionally get corruptions which entail the need to reconfigure the SD card. I do shut it down gracefully every time before powering down using a pushbutton switch connected to one of the GPIO pins, making use of the poweroff/shutdown facility under "tweaks". (With a LED connected to another to monitor LMS "up" status).

This seems to be necessary every 6 months or so, when the systems starts to misbehave a bit, doing odd things. I always keep a clean copy on a SD card ready to pop in when needed.

I am using picoreplayer + LMS on a Pi4. I find I do occasionally get corruptions which entail the need to reconfigure the SD card. I do shut it down gracefully every time before powering down using a pushbutton switch connected to one of the GPIO pins, making use of the poweroff/shutdown facility under "tweaks". (With a LED connected to another to monitor LMS "up" status).

This seems to be necessary every 6 months or so, when the systems starts to misbehave a bit, doing odd things. I always keep a clean copy on a SD card ready to pop in when needed.

Change your card. If the problem recurs, change your Pi.

I’m not convinced these bells-and-whistles mega-Pis for PCP are completely necessary. My domestic one (LMS server only) is a 3A+, and my portable installation (server and player) is a 2B with some kind of hat, I forget which one. Neither has ever had a problem that a reboot didn’t solve.

Even better, my USB micro SD card reader has now stopped functioning! So any new install is off the agenda for a minute. I'm far from convinced much of this tech is really fit for purpose.

I’m not convinced these bells-and-whistles mega-Pis for PCP are completely necessary. My domestic one (LMS server only) is a 3A+, and my portable installation (server and player) is a 2B with some kind of hat, I forget which one. Neither has ever had a problem that a reboot didn’t solve.

if your using a ‘hat’, not the USB ports for your output signal and not bothered about WiFi the 2 series is fine. I’ve 2/3 and 4 series PI and they all run the audio fine.

3B’s with MoOde are more than adequate for (single use) audio streaming. And for 35 quid or so**, you’re laughing.
I run three.......

**OK plus another few squid for the PSU, SD card and a donation to MoOde for the software.

Last edited:
if your using a ‘hat’, not the USB ports for your output signal and not bothered about WiFi the 2 series is fine.
I use a Wifi dongle in my portable Pi2 installation which is also fine - I tether it to my phone for radio/Spotify streaming and iPeng control.

I used to run LMS on a Pi2. It worked fine, but sometimes a little slow to respond, sometime navigating though music folders, or after adding more flac files onto the local USB memory (I usually do this by physically putting the USB into my laptop). The Pi4 is just much faster.

@kesalriser

if I was pointing a fingure , it would be at the dac-hat (just a guess o_O)

Please check your pm

I have posted a link to an your pCP+LMS image, I have updated it, I have checked out the download, it's fine.

Please use the rpi image maker tool

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

Please expand the file system to at least 1gb

When you have it configured, you can make a copy of the image;

from the Main Page of pCP - SD Card Image

I also have copies of notes and info I sent you, so just get in touch if you have any problems. It will take me a while to set up a MAC if you are still using iTunes as a source of music.

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie. I'm fairly sure the SD card is kaput as the spare card with Hifi berry OS is recognised by the Pi (ie I can open the web interface even if no audio is possible) but until a replacement card reader arrives I won't know if there's another hardware problem. I'll give you a shout when I'm ready.

advertisement

Back