Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mordaunt Short MS700 Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by ToTo Man, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

2. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I remember buying a pair of these used from a hi-fi shop in Camden Town in 1989 for £50 and using them as my main speaker until about 2005, when I upgraded to ESL 63s and the Mordaunt Shorts went on the dump. Benefits from spikes on the plinth.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The tweeters are Decca Kelly DK30s and worth good money on their own, a legendary tweeter used by Mark Levinson with his stacked ESLs, in the DeccaVolt etc.

I had a pair of MS700s in the old studio (early 90s) for a while as I’d found them real cheap at an auction, but I blew the DK30s a couple of times which suggests the crossover is quite gentle. They are not a speaker suitable for a studio, far too fragile! I never got a good sound out of them in my own system when I tried them at home, they sounded very muffled and muddy, but my system at that time was optimised for Kans so a rather chalk/cheese thing. It would be interesting to hear a pair with more suitable kit, e.g. a nice valve amp.

Anyone bidding should certainly try and establish that the DK30s both work as whilst they are very easily repairable, one obviously needs replacement ribbons to do so, and I’m not certain any are still available (they weren’t last time I looked). You can actually make them out of tin-foil, but it looks fiddly to get exactly right.

ToTo Man likes this.
  4. karma67

karma67 pfm Member

i had a pair of these briefly, awful mids you'd be better of with ditton 44 imo