advertisement

Moral dilemma - trash a Preampliwire Ia?

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
Quite a while ago I bought a basket case Electrocompaniet Preampliwire Ia with the intention of renovating it. However, it had suffered from being stored in a damp (& I guess temp variable) location for so long that even most of the coatings of the resistors have cracked and fell off during the PCB clean up exercise. I did attempt replacement of obviously failed electrolytics, but it still doesn’t work. I can’t find a cct diagram anywhere, and it is way beyond my abilities to fault find & restore.

I hate to do it, but am now considering stripping out the ruined PCB and using chassis and a few other bits for a DIY pre-amp. Should I feel guilty, and is anyone out there with the skills & dedication to bring it back to life?

Thanks, Richard

What's there to feel guilty about Richard? If it's buggered then strip it out and use it for a project.

No guilt involved or necessary. The boards are buggered, as said earlier, use the case and trafo, crack on.. It s an item of consumer electronics, not a faberge egg.

Thanks. Yes, I dug out a hacksaw yesterday :)

I just hate to trash decent kit, but at least I’ll be repurposing the chassis and a couple of other bits (MC phono add-on board looks good).

Thats good enough for me Richard and that preamp of yours will live to fight another day and not end up in landfill somewhere.
Let’s see some pics of your efforts too please.

advertisement

Back