1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Moppit's Massive Clearout...401, Kef, Naim ,Chord

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Moppit, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

After much deliberating I’ve decided it’s time to simplify my system and get rid of a lot of gear.

I’m getting out of vinyl – well I can’t justify keeping this or investing in a new cartridge whilst holding only 100 or so LP’s, half of which are my wife’s rubbish and the rest is stuff from my yoof which does not get much of a look-in these days…I may regret this….

Garrard 401 complete with Plinth, Origin Live Alliance Arm and Ortofon Quintet Red Moving Coil Cartridge - The Arm retails for £340, the Cartridge £250. Both are low hours. The arm is direct from OL in Southampton

https://www.originlive.com/shop/alliance-tonearm.html

https://www.audiot.co.uk/products/ortofon-quintet-red-cartridge-7093.aspx

Quintet red came from Audio T

All In very good condition. 401 Recent service by Bob Barton (ex. Garrard Engineer, Swindon). Bob is the chap who serviced all Loricraft’s turntables. Likely if you had yours done by Loricraft Bob would’ve done the work. Bob was introduced to me by fellow fishies and did a marvelous job. My 401 runs dead centre on the speed control when warmed up.

Bob remarked about mine that it was one of the quietest 401’s he had ever worked on. After the service he said it would be good for another 25 years before needing further attention.

Comes fitted with platter damping rings, original mat, and heavyweight (25kg !) plinth. I’ve also got the user manual.

£1100 including Arm and Cart. May split if the price is right. I have original box for the OL arm and VTA adjustment on the arm base. The base is currently aligned for Rega geometry. You will find cheaper on Ebay but reckon on spending £500 to get it working to this level.
    [​IMG]2020-07-28_02-32-36 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]2020-07-28_02-32-16 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    2020-07-28_02-32-36 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Jez Arkless 640P Phono Stage/Preamplifier £350

Cambridge Audio Phono transformed by Jez into something you would need to spend over £1000 to beat. Check through the reviews on Pink Fish Media. Comes with loading plugs for Moving Coil settings. Can be adapted for Moving Magnet. Alternatively this would be your starting point for Jez’s new Dr.T upgrade. See the threads on PFM.
    [​IMG]20200728_143109 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_143117 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Rotel 965BX CD Player £300

In good condition this is a lovely sweet sounding (heavy) box with a lovely DAC and heavyweight transport. Mine has been modified with various upgrades (low noise op amps, new clock chip, Russ Andrews cabling etc) and the difference is a noticeable improvement over the original

[​IMG]20200728_151733 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

[​IMG]20200728_151742 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Khozmo Passive Preamplifier with Remote Control £450 - sorry now sold

This has the Vishay upgrade and a very solid remote control. Beautifully built and heavy construction this is utterly transparent and a significant upgrade from other units out there. Note this has Motorized remote and switchable on/off/brightness volume display. Mute and standby function. 3 inputs, 2 outputs.
    [​IMG]20200725_111748 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

[​IMG]20200725_111812 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

[​IMG]20200725_111824 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Chord 2Qute DAC £600

What HiFi 5 star award winning DAC with same FGPA internals as the Hugo but in a more desktop friendly package. Solid Aluminum construction with SPdif Coax, USB and Toslink inputs. I compared the new Qutest but did not notice a massive difference. In fact only the new TT2 showed a signigi=icant upgrage but then given it is £3500 more this represents a bargain used.

Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amplifier £700

This is the second generation XS with the new revised Naim front panel but without the headphone output (that confusingly called the XS2). The XS2 is 10W more. Compared to the new XS3 this a relative bargain and you could add the Arkless phono stage and it would still be massively cheaper. The Arkless would run rings round the XS3 phono stage. comes with Naim remote, original cable, box and user manual. Got some Naim 5 pin din to RCA phono cables which I will throw in too. Allows connection of Non-Naim Headphone Amp, Phono Amp.
    [​IMG]20200728_133227 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_133251 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_133210 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Naim Nait XS by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    KEF Reference 2 Loudspeakers £650

Huge scale and drama from these lovely looking speakers. Excellent midrange and imaging from the dual concentric Mid/Tweeter. Dual Bass Driver in an isobaric chamber. Lovely finish and serious WAF. Includes grilles, adjustable spikes, boundary compensation to enable use in smaller rooms. Dimensions to follow...
    [​IMG]20200728_132942 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_133106 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_132952 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_133021 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Pioneer N50 Network streamer £250

What HiFi 5* and Hifi News Best Buy. Play music from your NAS, USB Drive, or Roon Via Airplay. Supports apple and Android streaming apps (eg. Bubble UPNP) and link to Qobuz/Tidal. Includes remote control. Separate streamer/DAC inputs and outputs enabling external DAC use. The DAC on the N50 is actually very sweet so likely you will not need to do this. 24 bit/192Khz capable.
    [​IMG]20200728_133418 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20200728_133441 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

[​IMG]20200728_153505 by Simon Camsell, on Flickr

Nad 3020 Amplifier, Matching Tuner, both in need of attention ..I have original boxes. Sold as not working as it seems a shame to take them to the dump. £20 each.

Tisbury Passive pre amplifier £120 - provisionally sold..

Mint, as new with orinal packaging. Around 12 months old. Various dip switches for setting impedance between your kit. Excellent way to try out passives in your setup.

All this from a C19, Pet, Smoke free household. No small children either...

Collection preferred, Tea and Biscuits provided - Hampshire near M3 J9 or M27 J5. Any dem welcome. Separate room and full observation of social distancing will be observed. please bring a mask as I'm still on self isolation (for other health reasons but no C19). Shipping possible on most items EXCEPT the 401.
    Pictures coming soon...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Nero

Nero Newish Member

Does the Khozmo come with power supply?

3. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

yes, sorry. Shouldve photographed it...

4. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

yes it does

5. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

Hi,
    PM sent re. the Tisbury

6. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

7. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

pm sent..

8. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

Tisbury and Khozmo provisionally sold.

9. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I have five of the things you’re selling! (Or did, I sold the Tisbury).

Moppit likes this.
  10. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

either I've been reading your threads too much or we both appreciate good kit!

11. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

What would need to be done to the Jez Arkless 640 Phono Pre to adapt it to MM use?

12. twotone

twotone pfm Member

From memory you just snip a wire.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  13. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

if you PM jez he can confirm..

14. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

just loook for Arkless Electronics and send him a PM - he can confirm which wire. Alternatively buy my Quintet red M/C and upgrade your listening! Good luck

GruntPuppy likes this.
  15. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Correct, snip the two small loops, they are clearly visible, and don’t use the loading plugs (I went the other way from mm to mc which involved soldering the loops).

twotone likes this.
  16. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

The mod and cost for converting an Arkless stage to GTI or Turbo is on Jez's thread.

He's, um, not able to answer pms for another week or so ;)

Bigman80 likes this.
  17. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Clearly. Good luck selling it all. What will you be left with?

18. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

I would, but I have my heart set on a rather nice Nagaoka after I get my arm updated.

Moppit likes this.
  19. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

Bump up in case you missed this...

20. locky

locky pfm Member

Might be interested in the MC cart if you'll split and the price was right... I could probably collect as nearby.