advertisement

Moode 5

whatsnext

Naimless
Moode 5 player has been out for a few days. I see many people cannot be bothered and want things on the proverbial plate, too much trouble for me. But for those who are willing and able it is an easier install than previously so for minimal cost and effort you could be streaming the no frills way.

Don’t forget to give Tim Curtis something for his/their efforts.

Got it installed on two of my RPi streamers (the others are still Moode 4.4). Not totally convinced at the moment...seems to run slower than Moode 4.4.

Think I’ll wait a while then.

On an aside I was using Linn Kazoo for a while and it was so sluggish. I think the app was handing off search etc. to the Pi. Am now using mconnect and it is so much snappier, browsing Tidal is done via mconnect.

Susy In what way do you get this slowness? I find it just worked on two rPis a 3 and a 2. I saved playlists and copied them back to the 5 players and was listening just like before with 4.3. In fact setting up was the fastest, partly because I was au fait with what was needed.

I think it's sorted now. Of my various players:

#1. RPi3/IQAudioDigi (wired) runs OK with Moode5
#2. RPiZero/JustboomDigiZero/Ethernet adaptor (wired) ran OK with Moode 4.4, but struggled with Moode5. So it has been replaced with another RPi3/IQAudioDigi running Moode5. OK now.

#3. RPiZero/IQAudioDACZero (wireless) is still running on Moode4.4. This will be the next one to try; it'll be interesting being the first of the wireless ones.
#4. RPiZero/IQAudioDACZero/IQHeadphone (wireless) still running on Moode4.4.
#5. temporarily non-operational coz its RPi3 is now in System#2..........

So the culprit seems to be the USB-Ethernet Adaptor not liking Moode5. I'll play around some more with what was player #2 (RPiZero/JustboomDigiZero/Ethernet adaptor ).
And I now need another RPi for Player#5, so I’ve just ordered a 3B+.

Still working my way through the new GUIs..........

Last edited:
I gave up WiFi a few years back and Ethernet both rPis and my NAS.

I found the new iface a challenge I’m still facing. Not much new, just different so far. Could be wrong.

Sounds fine though, subject to source FLACs.

Just tried a fresh install of Moode 5 and seemingly no matter what tweaks I make to any of the Audio settings (including trying with the default settings) I am getting lots of random 'tick tick' static-like noises using a Chord TT2 with the RPi 3 B+. Have spent an hour trying all manner of settings, so going to go back to 4.4 and see if normal service is resumed.

Just tried a fresh install of Moode 5 and seemingly no matter what tweaks I make to any of the Audio settings (including trying with the default settings) I am getting lots of random 'tick tick' static-like noises using a Chord TT2 with the RPi 3 B+. Have spent an hour trying all manner of settings, so going to go back to 4.4 and see if normal service is resumed.

Are you on WiFi? Sounds like dropouts to me.

Ethernet is the safe way. For those who are Ethernet users and have been beguiled by cables in general has anyone gone for super Ethernet cables and found their world transformed?

I am thinking of a Linn/Wam User who insists amazing Streaming things were wrought by using a select Cat8 cable. Myself I shall not be investigating as I do not seek that last edge of improvement many forum gurus speak of.

Ethernet is the safe way. For those who are Ethernet users and have been beguiled by cables in general has anyone gone for super Ethernet cables and found their world transformed?

I am thinking of a Linn/Wam User who insists amazing Streaming things were wrought by using a select Cat8 cable. Myself I shall not be investigating as I do not seek that last edge of improvement many forum gurus speak of.

I’ve used CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6, but not for any particular reason, just what I’ve had lying around. Zero difference for audio.

Consider that CAT5 is rated up to at least 100mbps, CAT5e 1000mbps and the highest bitrate file you’ll be sending is 9.2mbps (a 24/192 file). CD quality is just 1.4mbps.

What do people think, that business critical data, LANs, router and switch connections run flawlessly on Ethernet, but those music files need space to breathe? :p

Are you on WiFi? Sounds like dropouts to me.

No the HDD is connected directly to the Pi, and the DAC is connected directly also via usb. I just use WiFi for the iOS remote control of Moode only.

Think I found the issue. Went back to a clean install of version 4.4. Had the same static type ticking noises issue. Clicked on the USB2 fix option in system settings and that solved it completely. This same option made no difference at all in 5, so perhaps it’s been accidentally disabled in Moode 5 regardless of whether the button says it’s on or off.

No the HDD is connected directly to the Pi, and the DAC is connected directly also via usb. I just use WiFi for the iOS remote control of Moode only.

Think I found the issue. Went back to a clean install of version 4.4. Had the same static type ticking noises issue. Clicked on the USB2 fix option in system settings and that solved it completely. This same option made no difference at all in 5, so perhaps it’s been accidentally disabled in Moode 5 regardless of whether the button says it’s on or off.
Do you use the Moode forum? Tim is pretty interested in fault fixing

Are these "tick-tick" noises coming from the hardware or through the speakers.

Have you tried to provide a separate power supply to either the hard disk or the dac?

ronnie

Moode 5.1 in place update available. Not applied it yet myself.

Ah, tomorrow’s entertainment, methinks.

today’s entertainment was trying out a Witchhat S3 CDX-NAC82 interconnect, and taking out another batch of orcs in Middle Earth.....plus a bit of gardening and a trip to Waitrose.

Holidays, eh!

Edit: Kicked off the updates on two systems after dinner. Seemed to go without issue, but not yet tested.....

Last edited:
Moode 5.1 in place update available. Not applied it yet myself.

Flippin'eck, are we doing an update a day??
Just got 5 working (Pi2B, IQAudio DAC+, local USB drive) and pleased with the SQ.
I was previously unimpressed with 4.3 SQ, so stuck with 3.1, but 5 seems very good.

The user interface seems too complicated on V5 - too many swipes/clicks to change the volume, but I'll put up with that for the SQ.

The user interface seems too complicated on V5 - too many swipes/clicks to change the volume, but I'll put up with that for the SQ.

Agree in general that the user interface is overly complicated. I’m not keen on the back arrow when trying to get back to the main screen from the various setup screens, and adding new CDs still take too many clicks. And having updated the MPD database, I then have to do it again to update the cover thumb-nails. And as I have to update 5 individual RPis, I do wish there was a blanket “Update all Devices” button.

The other thing I would wish for is to be able to change the width of the columns in “iTunes” view. Three equal-width columns may be aesthetically pleasing, but wastes a huge amount of space, especially in the Genres column. I would much rather have more width in the Albums column, especially for my Classical “albums”, where the titles can be quite long (I usually include catalogue numbers).

As for changing the volume, I use the NAC82’s Remote......... :p

OK, I’ll get me coat! :D:D

Last edited:
Update done. Minimal effort or difference.

For volume I use the - + buttons as swiping seems to have a life of it’s own and I agree is messy

Agree in general that the user interface is overly complicated. I’m not keen on the back arrow when trying to bet back to the main screen from the the various setup screens, and adding new CDs still take too many clicks, and having updated the MPD database, I then have to do it again to update the cover thumb-nails. And as I have to update 5 individual RPis, I do wish there was a blanket “Update all Devices” button.

The other thing I would wish for is to be able to change the width of the columns in “iTunes” view. Three equal-width columns may be aesthetically pleasing, but wastes a huge amount of space, especially in the Genres column. I would much rather have more width in the Albums column, especially for my Classical “albums”, where the titles can be quite long (I usually include catalogue numbers).

As for changing the volume, I use the NAC82’s Remote......... :p

OK, I’ll get me coat! :D:D
If I had 5 devices, I would seriously consider Logitech Media Server and Picoreplayer squeezelite clients.

I haven't updated my Moode client yet - it works, so I'll live with it.

advertisement

Back