advertisement

Monopod/tripod, long lens advice, please

BTC3

pfm Member
There seems to be a lot of experience here, so I thought I'd ask:
I have a work trip coming up that will allow a quick side trip for some wildlife photography - safari. It will be in the usual open top Landover, and I'm wondering about support for a Nikon 200-500 lens. I've done this before with a carbon Manfrotto tripod, essentially acting as a monopod, and it worked, but am thinking an actual mono will likely be easier to carry. Any views on this?
If I go down the monopod route, I'm tempted by the Three Legged Thing offerings, does anyone have experience of their products?

I'm defaulting to the idea of taking a 200-500 f5.6 over a 300 f4 for some versatility - right thing to do?? I'll probably take a 50mm for any wider stuff, though I'm tempted to leave that behind. Or, I could finally bite the bullet and get a 70-200 plus TC combo. Camera is full frame DSLR.

I have a lightweight three legged thing and it is OK for light stuff in good weather on stable ground using remote shutter release.

I'm off on safari next week and wanted a robust tripod but as light as possible. Tried numerous at Parks, it's remarkable how little rotational stability some chunky ones have. Bought a Manfrotto 055 and head reference MHXPRO-BHQ6.

Lucky me they had a June sale, about a third off everything and a free monopod.

My lens choice is rather different - a 1990 Leica APO-Telyt R 180/f3.4-22 and APO 2x extender - total weight 1,700g when mounted on a Leica M10. 50mm handles by an f1.4 Summilux ASPH.

I have a carbon 055, great tripod - it's the one I referred to. Thanks for the comments on the TLT; I'm going to see if I can find some to play with.
The lens choice sounds good - dont think my Nikon competes with an M10!

I'd just be setting my iso to auto, and relying on that.

A tc is ok, but I would want to avoid lens swaps whenever possible.

Try your 200-500 out at dusk. Does the autofocus cope well? If not, it might not be a great idea in anything other that bright light. Remember that most action on safari takes place at dawn and dusk! My ff camera autofocusses far better at f4 or larger, so with my current gear I'd use my 70-200 2.8 with 1.4x.

I did two safaris and monopods looked like a hindrance in a Land Rover.

Last time I dis safari they gave us beanbags to rest cameras on. Could just take a plastic bag and fill it with sand.

I'm off on safari next week and wanted a robust tripod but as light as possible. Tried numerous at Parks, it's remarkable how little rotational stability some chunky ones have. Bought a Manfrotto 055 and head reference MHXPRO-BHQ6.

I have the same combination, just be careful with the head, if the camera isn't seated correctly when you tighten up the QR thumbwheel, it can push the the retaining mechanism under the camera plate, thus not securing the camera to the top plate, both myself and a friend have suffered from this (along with dirt getting in the spring and not releasing correctly). Its a great head but just requires a second check when in use (before your camera hits the deck - as mine has done!!)

on the two we went on they positively discouraged us from using a tripod in the vehicle. I left mine at home but did have a bean bag. At the time I was using Canon EOS D5 and 100-400 L series zoo.

I have the same combination, just be careful with the head, if the camera isn't seated correctly when you tighten up the QR thumbwheel, it can push the the retaining mechanism under the camera plate, thus not securing the camera to the top plate, both myself and a friend have suffered from this (along with dirt getting in the spring and not releasing correctly). Its a great head but just requires a second check when in use (before your camera hits the deck - as mine has done!!)

I don't quite follow, but will have a look. There is a screw to lock the plate on the camera. Even with tripod I still use the strap round my neck, it's habit.

Anyway, a lot of this safari will be sitting comfortably with a G'n'T in hand. At least that's the plan.

I have a carbon 055, great tripod - it's the one I referred to. Thanks for the comments on the TLT; I'm going to see if I can find some to play with.
The lens choice sounds good - dont think my Nikon competes with an M10!

i love the 055 for miniature cameras - i've had three of them since they were first offered - though never a carbon fibre ... wonderfully flexible no-nonsense (ok maybe just a little) system

@gintonic when we went there were only 4 people per 9 seater car, so plenty of room for gear, etc. The tripod fit, but was bigger than I wanted, and they had no issue with me (and another guy) using them.
I have a bean bag that I can fill with sand/whatever on-site, so I'll have that with my as "backup".

@Tony Lockhart I used a 70-300 last time, the 5.6-6.3 last time, on a D300s, and focused without too much trouble. For this one, I don't think the 200-500 has that much of a problem with focusing (camera is now a D810). However, an excuse for a new lens never goes amiss.

Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

@gintonic when we went there were only 4 people per 9 seater car, so plenty of room for gear, etc. The tripod fit, but was bigger than I wanted, and they had no issue with me (and another guy) using them.
I have a bean bag that I can fill with sand/whatever on-site, so I'll have that with my as "backup".

@Tony Lockhart I used a 70-300 last time, the 5.6-6.3 last time, on a D300s, and focused without too much trouble. For this one, I don't think the 200-500 has that much of a problem with focusing (camera is now a D810). However, an excuse for a new lens never goes amiss.

Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

yep we were a similar number - there was no people overcrowding.

I don't quite follow, but will have a look. There is a screw to lock the plate on the camera. Even with tripod I still use the strap round my neck, it's habit.

Anyway, a lot of this safari will be sitting comfortably with a G'n'T in hand. At least that's the plan.

I have had occasions where tightening the screw has pushed the retaining plate under the camera, rather than locking it. If you have a strap around your neck then everything will be ok.

When I said in my earlier post that I thought a monopod looked like a hindrance, I didn't mean that it got in the way of others. Most of the time on our safaris there was just my wife, the guide and me, in an open Landy. I can't get my head around why a monopod is even needed, as back then I had a Canon 20D and cheap lenses. With a modern ff body and L glass I'd be laughing!

Being able to move the camera quickly for an unexpected photo op would mean much more to me than having the whole assembly a little more steady than hand held, especially as image stab sometimes needs to be switched off if a tripod or monopod is used!!!

I use a manfrotto 055, though mostly at home or shooting out of the back of a car (eg no extended lugging). I'd not be taking that to Africa. A good monopod is what you need.

I've had a Manfrotto 479-4B for years, you can pick them up for buttons. I've just replaced it today with a Miller 311 Carbon Fibre monopod, which will be easier for long session shooting.

I looked at that MHXPRO-BHQ6 head, not my cup of tea. I'd rather go for a quality alternative ball head with RRS compatible plate.

advertisement

Back